1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi adaptor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RegPring, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop. I recently installed a new hard drive which came with Windows XP Professional installed on it . When I boot up it says New Hardware found and opens up Device Manager. It shows a PCI device and asks me to install the driver . I have tried letting the Hardware Device Manager find the software, downloaded the latest driver from the Dell Support website and tried to install it manually but Device Manager cant find any software that will work. Now when I open Device Manager there are 2 PCI adaptors shown doth with big yellow ? by them.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its unusual for windows to work under these circumstances

you need to re-install a fresh copy of windows - as all the drivers and hardware is different
    Also the XP will be licensed to the original PC motherboard and so will be deemed genuine on this new PC

3. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I don't have a new copy of XP.I was wondering if it could be a configuration or registry problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From where did you buy a new hard drive with Windows preinstalled? I have never heard of that, and it makes very little sense. Did you also get a valid XP Product Key?

5. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

O.K. to be perfectly honest, this is a friends laptop and he bought the hard drive on e-bay. I don't know if he purchased a product key or not but I used an online software program to find it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is almost definitely a used hard drive. The fact that Windows is on it probably means the seller did not bother to "clean" the drive. Install or image a valid OS for the laptop.

7. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but does he have to purchase this?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what he already has.

What was his plan for recovery in case of a catastrophe, such as his hard drive dying?

What was pre-installed on the PC and does he still have the Windows Product Key for it?

Does he have Recovery or Installation disk(s)?

9. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

His original hard drive died, that's why he bought this piece of junk in my opinion from e-bay. The original Windows Product Key is on a tab on the bottom of the lap top. He doesn't have a Recovery or Installation disk(s)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps he can borrow the appropriate installation CD from somebody he knows. Or maybe he can still purchase Recovery or Reinstallation disks from Dell.

11. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

O.K. I will tell him what you've advised, thank you so mush for your help.

12. RegPring

RegPring Thread Starter

Should be much.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice