1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIFI advice needed!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JHPITT, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JHPITT

JHPITT Thread Starter

Hi, anyones advice would be greatly appreciated, bearing in mind I am fairly computer illiterate!

I am looking to get wireless internet access for use mainly in the home. We currently give £17.99 a month to Orange for broadband and are with BT for our landline.

Can anyone advise as to the best way forward in getting WIFI, particularly without spending anymore money? I've been advised by someone who has recently got WIFI not to get a dongle but I don't know why? Am I correct in thinking that you have to pay for WIFI either by contract or pay as you go? Would it be best to switch to BT in order to get our line rental, broadband and WIFI in one package?

Help, this is all new to me and I'm confused and clueless.

Many thanks in advance.

Jodie, UK

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The following is about broadband supplied via telephone line and NOT via the mobile phone network - so if you are talking about mobile cell network - ignore the following

How old is the contract with Orange - They have been providing wireless routers for some time
    whats the make and model of the router you have supplied by Orange

You DO NOT have to pay to have wifi - its just a different router you need with wireless function,

If your contract has run out with orange , then you may be able to get them to supply a wireless router for free - I have done this a few times now with clients for talktalk - where the contract has expired , they sign up for a new 18mth contract and talktalk supply a free wireless router
    Most other ISP will now supply a wireless router as part of the signup for a new contract

TalkTalk
    BT
    Orange
    Virgin
    Plusnet
    sky

I carried out a recent investigation for a client and Orange appeared to have the best deal , escpically if you had an orange mobile account anyway

Hope this helps

3. JHPITT

JHPITT Thread Starter

Our contract is donkeys years old as it started with Freeserve in about 2002 they then became Wanadoo which then became Orange a few years back so we have no contract.

What would you suggest I do in light of this, give Orange a call and ask them to send a router?

Many Thanks for your help.

4. JHPITT

JHPITT Thread Starter

We are actually thinking we will ring BT to see if they can offer us a cheaper package along with our existing landline. They will then automatically send us a wireless router as part of the new contract I assume?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think BT will have a cheaper package -

Whats your download limit at the moment - thats what you need to watch
    BT offer three different packages with different download limits
    So when comparing MAKE sure you compare exactly the same deals
    and if you have a phone package - inclusive calls check very carefully what they actually include - you have to ask the questions they do not tend to offer the information upfront
    so things like mobile rates, 01/02/03 numbers when are they free check times and how long
    0845/0870 etc check those numbers to and how long you can talk
    then some countries are included

you may want to compare deals between all the companies i listed , as i say I found Orange to be the cheapest deal , and cheaper if you had a orange payas you go and have at £15 on it every 3 months I think it was
    next was TalkTalk
    then BT
    ALL for an unlimited download allowance

How have you found Orange ?
    do you have an unlimited download package ?
    do you have call package included ?
    do you have a orange mobile ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice