1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi and bluetooth adapter not detected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImTheProblem, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImTheProblem

ImTheProblem Thread Starter

I have been trying to fix the issue for a few months now - got a new laptop for Christmas and the problem has been since day 1.

When booting, WIFI and Bluetooth are greyed out and I cannot use them. I consequently need to restart the computer a few times until it works. It also happens sometimes when booting from sleep.

The issue happens with BOTH Windows 10 and Linux (Elementary OS).

I asked Asus (I have a UX310UA) about it and they suggested to delete and reinstall the Wifi adapter's driver from control panel - if it doesn't work, it should be a hardware issue according to Asus Support. I was not aware of Bluetooth having the same problem until recently.
    I don't believe it's a hardware issue and that's why I'm reaching you.

I also tried to reinstall the driver manually but I don't know if I succeeded though.

Any help would be wonderful !

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Check your keyboard for a hot key combo for enabling/disabling the adapter.

3. ImTheProblem

Thanks for you reply. I have an airplane mode hotkey. I've not tried it on Windows since I mainly use Linux but the hotkey is disabled on Elementary.

EDIT : I forgot to add that when the issue is happening with Elementary, the wifi pannel says I'm on Airplane mode and I cannot disable it. My guess is that it tells that whenever there's no wireless device detected. (With Windows the Wifi and Bluetooth icons aren't simply appearing)

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok if Linux is ALSO showing airplane mode on, try checking in the BIOS. Sometimes you can disable them directly from the BIOS and Windows isn't even part of the equation.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS Zenbook UX310UA (support site)
    It comes with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit.
    It has a Qualcomm Atheros or Intel wireless device.
    It has an Intel bluetooth device.

If you click "Support - Drivers & Tools", then select "UX310UA - Windows 10 64-bit", the list of device drivers will appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. ImTheProblem

The BIOS is very limited, I didn't find any option related to networking / wireless connections or devices.

I found with some further research that some people have had issues (not with this specific laptop but more generally) with the devices not being powered by the computer on startup. Would that be a possibility?

7. ImTheProblem

Thank you for your answer - as I stated in my first message, I have already tried to install the Intel Wireless Lan Driver for Windows 10 but that didn't seem to correct the issue. I did the same on Linux by checking out the wireless cards model number and installing its Linux driver. I'm not sure I installed it correctly though (especially on Linux, I simply copy/pasted the correct files in a particular folder, as instructed in the READ ME)

And since the issue happens with both operating systems, updating the driver on Windows wouldn't fix the issue on Linux too - correct me if I'm wrong?

Other question : I don't know much about a laptop's hardware. Are Bluetooth and Wi-Fi delivered by a same device or two different ones?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I know nothing about and have never used Bluetooth or Linux.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    It depends on the card in the laptop. A lot of them are COMBO cards in which they deliver both wifi and Bluetooth signals from one card. You can remove the bottom cover and look at the card and get its model number and search it on Google if you like as well.

Now if you are STILL having issues in Linux, you most likely have a bad wifi card. I have seen TONS and I MEAN TONS of these cards go bad LITERALLY OUT OF THE BLUE. You can use them BEAUTIFULLY on Monday and on Tuesday morning, its dead. If Bluetooth is a major concern for you I would recommend trying to replace the combo card in the laptop itself if you want to use Bluetooth too. If not you can buy a replacement internal wifi card or a USB Bluetooth dongle and USB wifi dongle as well. Your choice, but that's what I would recommend at this point.

10. ImTheProblem

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. I'll try to replace the internal WiFi card if it's easy and doesn't cost too much (I use the laptop for studies and travels and a usb device wouldn't be that practical)
    If not I'll just send it for a repair as advised by Asus - does replacing the card cancel the warranty though?

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes it might. SOme will some wont. If its still under warranty I would call them and ask if it would void the warranty.

12. Zangieff

Zangieff

ImTheProblem: Did those Linux drivers with instructions mention anything about compiling the drivers from source because most of the time they need the kernel to be compiled with it. I run Gentoo along with a virtual vm under QEMU. Using GPU Passthrough and I've come across some hardware issues and it led be back to the kernel and most if not all drivers are in it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice