1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi and router question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hanako83, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanako83

hanako83 Thread Starter

Ok I know the basic setup for normal connection.. INTERNET to ROUTER using [WIFI]<pc1 pc2..
    so my question is, my router is in my house. my friend a few houses down can't get net right now so hes using a netgear wg111v3 usb adapter to gain internet thru my wifi. his son's laptop's wifi card can't get my wifi from their house. Is it possible that I can hook up a router with wifi to his netgear usb adapter and set it up so the adapter picks up my wifi signal, passes it to the router and their router can spread the signal thru their house so his son can pick it up? I hope this can be understood. Ill try to do a small diagram. (x1 and x2 just random houses)

my house | r |
    router wifi | o | x1
    .............. | a |
    .............. | d | x2
    .............. | .. |
    .............. | .. | friends house
    .............. | .. | netgear picking up my wifi hooked to router with wifi
    .............. ..... Can this be used to repeat the signal so sons laptop can get it?

anyway, again, hope this is understood. i don't see why it woulnd't work but then again networking isn't my forte. any questions/comments, ill answer as best i can. thanks for any help.

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

You should be able to achieve this by a wireless repeater.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...xtender/dp/B000IE8STS/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

It does depend on the range from your current router and where you place the repeater though.

It is also possible to configure some routers to be repeaters - albeit slightly more tricky than just buying a repeater. Again, it does depend on signal strength etc. The repeating has to come from a router - not from a receiving card.

If you log onto your friends router, there might be a "Repeater Mode" or something similar. Alternatively, give it a google to see if someone has found a way to do it.

Search for example:

Belkin WG2400 convert to repeater

Hope that helps

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we cannot help with this situation, as most ISP will not allow you to share with another premise

please see our rules here closing post

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice