1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi bedroom woes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dave61, Sep 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave61

dave61 Thread Starter

We recently put a tv in the new master bedroom. It's not a smart tv, so we bought a Roku stick. The picture was poor, so we checked the download speed in the bedroom, and it was slow. We went to Best Buy and bought a new router and new modem. We tried a booster, then a net system in the house, etc. To date, we have gone through three different systems, and the problem persists. E.g., this morning we installed a new Netgear router and modem in the living room. We get download speeds from 150-230 mbps throughout the house. The speed is 180 mpbs just outside the door of the master bedroom. When we step into the room--literally 2 feet into the room--the speed is 21 mbps. In other words, within a distance of less thank 3-4 feet, the speed drops from 180 mbps to 21.

We unplugged the phone in the bedroom. The only other technology is a smoke detector.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Without knowing the layout of your home, it's hard to say if this is a coverage issue or not. Pretty much all access points and wireless routers come equipped from the factory with omnidirectional antennas. The gain of the antenna will dictate how much of a donut type RF pattern will be transmitted from the access point/wireless router. If there are external antennas on the wireless device, you can move the antenna to try to focus RF output to a specific area of your home.

The other thing to look for is if there is any RF interference in the MBR. There are some tools you can download/install which will provide you with information about neighboring interfering RF sources.

On the topic of different wireless devices you see used and mentioned by you in your post. Boosters/repeaters are the worst things you can add to a wireless network. In my opinion, they're right there with trying to support a device running on the old 802.11b wireless standard. Just don't do it. I don't know what you mean by net system as one of the things you've tried. Without further knowledge about your situation as I raised in my previous paragraphs, the best (and in my opinion the only solution one should implement) solution is to use a unified wireless system. The costs of these systems have come down dramatically and there really is no excuse for not using one of them. Examples of these systems are Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi, Eero, and Google WiFi.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It does sound like the room may have poor line of sight to the router due to some metal/blockage. I suffer the same fate in the most important room... (the bathroom lol the door has metal in it and works well only if the door is open)

There are some wifi inspector programs that used to be free (haven't had to use one in some time) but that can help see if there any possible interference from other networks, also you can see your signal strength.

I don't know if this would be viable option because it will rely on your circuits, but one solution would be to get a set of powerline adapters, one for the main router and one for a wireless access point in the bedroom so that way you can have a signal inside the room.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I use WiFi Analyzer on my Android phone to do rough site surveys.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice