Wifi Cameras on Blue Iris

TerryNet

Terry
I assume that you have no paper or online user manual or "quick setup" instructions. Have you been able to login to a camera? How far have you managed to get to wirelessly connect? What seems to go wrong?

Radar2546

Ray
I have a little booklet but it is only showing how to connect to a phone. I have three different computers on the same router. one is my wife , one is for me and the other is just for the cameras.

Attachments

Radar2546

Ray
I put the icsee program on my phone and it works fine until I remove the ethernet cable from the camera.
It is just trying to get blue iris to find the cameras on wifi

TerryNet

Terry
The booklet gives no hint of the camaras' manufacturer's web site or name and no model indication? Without knowing how to login to the camera I cannot think of any way to teach it to connect to any wireless network. Guess I would determine the IP address of a camera and try to login--perhaps the default login is "admin" and the default password is also "admin" or else null.

Radar2546

Ray
I tried to find the make but there was nothing to go on, I recon with these copy cameras they don't want you to know who made them. The password and log in is as you say admin. Thanks for all your help Terry, I will carry on trying.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That is typical for a cheap device... instructions are minimal and practically hard to get support.

So from what I can tell, it's like any wifi device for the home... I have a sprinkler system that requires an app to connect to via bluetooth then configure the wireless information.

(FYI for any critical system or computer, Ethernet should be the connection you should use, but obviously that would take time and perhaps more devices.)

Anyways, when you use the ICSee program to connect to the camera, do you have anything for Network/Wireless Connection? I suspect that you need to configure the wireless portion.

TerryNet

Terry
So, now you have access to the configuration pages, right? Probably fairly straightforward now. Let us know if you run into any speed bumps.

Radar2546

Ray
Err no, I don't know about speed bumps, its more like mountains. I had ethernet and wifi switched on. I disabled ethernet and the cameras kept on working, but as soon as I removed the cable from one of the cameras they stopped working ? I have got a feeling that I have not got all the cables correct. My wifes computer and mine are straight from the router and work fine, the camera computer and the cameras are all in a junction box.

TerryNet

Terry
You " removed the cable from one of the cameras" and all three became inaccessible?

What is this "junction box"?

You now have the cameras connected wirelessly to your router, right?

But the camera computer is not connected to the router? Nor are the cameras connected to the router via ethernet?

Reckon that you can see that I don't understand your network.

Radar2546

Ray
Yes all went off, this is the junction box. Still no wifi, the camera computer is connected to the junction box and so are all the cameras. Thinking about it could the computer and cameras not be going through the router, just joined together. I can see you know a lot more than me. By the way I like your dog.

TerryNet

Terry
Meow! Hiss! :D Thanks, but my "dog" actually is (was) my cat.

Black (literally) boxes are black (figuratively) boxes. I'm guessing that your junction box is simply an ethernet switch. If I'm right, you have two LANs--one consists of the junction box and everything connected to it. The other is the modem, router, and everything connected to the router (whether by Wi-Fi or ethernet). Those LANs have no more access to each other than to my LAN.

You want--I think--one LAN so that all your devices have a fighting chance to talk with each other. Connect a cable from a router LAN port to the ethernet switch (junction box). Then any computer or camera that you want to connect by ethernet can connect to either to a router LAN port or a port on the switch.

Now, to reiterate, the above depends on my assumption that the junction box is a switch. If it is an older one there may be a special "in" or "up" port for the cable from the router. If the ports are numbered use #1 for the cable from the router. From the looks of the black box on the right you may have a modem/router combo. That doesn't change anything--just means the modem to router connection was made at the factory.

With my change you run out of ethernet ports? No problem; if one or more camera is going to be Wi-Fi connected they don't all need to be connected by ethernet at the same time.

Radar2546

Ray
I have found my glasses ! That's better I like your cat, I should have known better I have 2 of my own. I think I must have had a senior moment, I am 74 so I have a good excuse. I have got one step nearer, now when I disconnect the ethernet cable on one camera the others stay on, when before I changed the cables around they all went off. Everything works fine with ethernet but not on wifi.

Radar2546

Ray
I have disabled ethernet on the computer and the cameras still work so they must be working on wifi, if I remove the wifi dongle they all stop working. Desktop Switch.JPGRouter.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online