1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wifi Card Disconnected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crimsoned, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Thread Starter

Hello!

I am not entirely sure if this in the right place, so if it is not, I apologize!
    Back in 2016 I got a HP Pavilion 15-au063nr. As I'm told, these things have horrible hinges, and in the process of waiting for screws the Realtek chip disconnected physically. I found this when someone opened up my laptop to replace the fan, as originally I just thought my computer was struggling with my wifi, as it did not drop suddenly and only progressively got worse over time before stopping completely.
    So, I have no internet, and I have been trying to live off of a Wifi adapter I bought online. It works fine, but given that I like to play little games on my computer it's been hard.

I am curious if anyone has any advice to reconnect the wifi chip. There is a little wire I am assuming connects to the chip, but it does not fit in-between where I would assume it would be (the gap is too large for it to clip in like I've seen in other videos for other laptops). I have not been able to find any help for my specific computer and how to reattach it physically, since most of the problems I find online are not physical disconnection.

When the laptop was open I took a photo of the chip, as well as the little wire that I felt should've connected.
    View: https://imgur.com/a/coQa5qP

(Yes, I see there is some cat hair on the computer, but everything was cleaned out carefully after the fan was replaced).

Thank you for any and all help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It looks to me that the wireless card is connected (at the "bottom" of the card). If not, just remove it the entire way and carefully and firmly insert it.

It looks like the antenna (at the "top" of card) is disconnected. The antenna being loose could easily cause the wireless to get "progressively ... worse over time before stopping completely."

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As far as can be seen from the image the wire is the antennae connection and clips onto the connection at the top right of the card as when looking at the image. You will actually see that there are two such connections, marked 1 and 2. 1 being top right - 2 being to the left of it
    One connection will be for 2.4GHz and one for the 5Ghz antennae
    It does NOT mean that your laptop has both antennaes
    What however, is the white wire with the green label that appears to be behind the card at the top edge. Check if that is in fact the second antennae
    I suspect it is
    Untitled.png

Those connections on the wireless card are often difficult to make I suggest you remove the card, so that you may fully support underneath the connections before attempting to make them.

Typing whilst my colleague TerryNet had posted, so as you can see we agree

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Thread Starter

Oh good grief you both are so immensely helpful - all this time I kept seeing videos online about snapping it in between the antennae clips, not on the clips themselves... such a simple fix and yet apparently for the months I've been having to use a WiFi adapter I did not figure that out.
    Thank you so so so much, I appreciate it <3 This helped and I am really happy to say I am now using my computer without the adapter!

5. Macboatmaster

So was the white wire the second antennae

6. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Thread Starter

The first antennae was removed, so I ended up not even having to touch the second one! But once I read your post I understood and was able to fix it!

7. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Pleased we solved it for you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice