1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RavenSolace, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RavenSolace

RavenSolace Thread Starter

I have had this hp laptop for about 3 weeks. I have had no problems with it the whole time other than having to get rid of the java application that was doing screwy stuff. But I just recently moved to a different city, and now anytime I try to use wifi it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it will say that I have a limited connection and when I try to troubleshoot the problem it will reset wifi and then come up saying that wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration. What is up with this I have restored my computer to its factory settings, I have also gone through and tried the repair option on my wifi. Every so often there are no problems at all then some times I get limited. I have only tried to connect on two other wifi networks since I have moved though maybe that is the problem. I called HP and they told me that they think it is a Trojan virus and that I would have to get their 2 year service plan to get their aid which will cost me $300.00 I cannot afford that I am not computer illiterate so then my question is if it is a Trojan how do I get rid of it without having to download anything else? If not a Trojan then HELP LOL

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does an ethernet connection work OK?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. RavenSolace

To start I don't know if the Ethernet works or not. I am assuming that it does since I have not used it at all. I will do what you requested but would like a better way to contact you and send the results. Personal email would be acceptable. If this is not acceptable to you I can deal with doing through the forum. Please let me know. Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the forum Rules to which you recently agreed:

5. RavenSolace

Ok fair enough is this the network page you are looking for? I will work on the other screen shot you asked for

Attached Files:

6. RavenSolace

So I am unable to upload the command results because I am using my phone what specifically are you looking for?

7. RavenSolace

If you like I can send you a screen shot piece by piece through my phone camera like I did with the other attachment

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice