1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi...connected But No Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by topazbest, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Can't get laptop to connect. I have a LINKSYS WIRELESS G ROUTER. I have a laptop with LINKSYS adapter card. Can't connect to internet, keep geting message..
    YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE ACESS POINT, BUT THE INTERNET CANNOT BE FOUND. I nosed around and discovered in the settings that it keeps saying..CANNOT OBTAIN IP ADDRESS, etc. and the boxes under TCP/IP CONFIG are empty?? Anyone care to take this one on?

2. gurutech

gurutech

Is your laptop set to obtain an IP address automatically, or do you have a static IP address plugged in for your laptop?

Also, is your wireless router configured to "hand out" IP address (set up as a DHCP server)?

3. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Laptop is configured to obtain automatically....

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your router's Dhcp server enabled? Not using MAC address filtering? If the network is secured, try w/o encryption until you get connected wirelessly.

If above doesn't get you connected, please post an ipconfig /all for the problem computer and for one (could be same one) connected to the router via ethernet.

5. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Tried connecting the wireless router to the internet, per the directions. For example I plugged in the cable modem to the router and then one of the ports to a computer. I keep getting the message...CANNOT CONNECT . I cannot access the 192.168.1.1 to cofigure the modem? It keeps saying no internet connection. I have a live interenet connections when I attached from the modem directly to the computer? Can't seem to access

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I cannot access the 192.168.1.1 to cofigure the modem?"

Is your modem a modem/router combo? What's the brand and model?

Have you used this Linksys router successfully, or is this your first attempt? What's the model?

7. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

First attempt. It is a LINKSYS WRT54GS. If I can get to the setup on the unit, I can manually change some settings, etc. Just can't get access to the modem settings. THANKS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice