1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi connected, but not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rummage99, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rummage99

rummage99 Thread Starter

The wifi in my condo building is working fine. I can connect, send and receive emails but I cannot get any websites. I have tried all the suggested solutions I can find on the internet but nothing has corrected the problem, Having exhausted all options I am now in total despair. I am using an Asus laptop.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you post here using the condo's internet service? If so, with a different computer?

If the Asus laptop is running Windows ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
    (In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. rummage99

rummage99 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Terry.
    I followed your suggested resolution to my problem. However, right clicking in the command window failed to open any options, so from that point I could go now further. My frustration is immeasurable. I am accessing the internet by hot spotting form my mobile phone which is not ideal.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never encountered that before, and have no idea what is wrong. What version of Windows? Did you make a second attempt?

5. rummage99

rummage99 Thread Starter

I am using windows 10. I tried following your instructions 3 times, but to no avail.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since it's Windows 10 I'll bow out now. Are you sure that you are accessing the Command Prompt and not PowerShell?

7. rummage99

rummage99 Thread Starter

After enetering the command and pressing enter I get this(attached photo) Then right clicking does nothing

Attached Files:

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The right-click should work but try this instead - do the IPCONFIG /ALL as before then as soon as it finishes press Ctrl+A which should turn the text to black on white, then press Enter, now you can use Ctrl+V to paste the text into your reply.

9. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    In the Command Prompt window, type, without quotation marks, "ipconfig /all >cfg.txt"
    That should create a file name called cfg.txt which has all the pertinent IP information. Then you should be able to open that file and copy and paste the info. If not, then just upload the entire file.

Note: THere's a space after Ipconfig and another after /all. However, no space after ">"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Exactly which error, if any, do you get when trying to connect to a website? Which browser(s)? Did you check to make sure no proxy server is configured?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In newer versions of Windows 10 Command Prompt, right click is now paste. At least it is for me. Now to highlight you simply left click hold and drag the mouse like you would in a document, then press enter. Or CTRL+A as mentioned then Enter.

Rummage, to add to the troubleshooting steps, while on the condo connection try going to 199.181.132.250 in the address bar in your browser and see if you can access abc.com via the IP address.

Also while on the condo connection do this in command prompt (note it may not look like anything is happening, this is normal):

ping abc.com > pingtest.txt
    ping 199.181.132.250 >> pingtest.txt
    nslookup abc.com >> pingtest.txt
    tracert abc.com >> pingtest.txt
    pingtext.txt

the last one should open the file in notepad for you to copy and paste.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice