1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi connected but very slow, packets lost

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elephant_car, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elephant_car

elephant_car Thread Starter

Hi
    My HP laptop connects to the router via wifi always. However page loading is very slow. The google home page can take 30-40 seconds. The other laptop we have works fine.

If I connect the HP laptop to the router using a cable it runs very quickly always. I have nortons security installed on the HP laptop.

Using the WIFI I ran ipconfig/all. I pinged the router default gateway address and got back 192.168.0.1. This worked.

I then opened a browser and tried to load a page. It was slow to load.

I ran ipconfig/all again. The default gateway address had changed. When I pinged the original default gateway address it was losing 1-2 packets and the other packets were very slow. It seems like the router or wifi is losing packets and the default gateway address keeps changing.

I turned off the wifi and used a cable to the router. I ran ipconfig/all. I pinged the router default gateway address and got back 192.168.0.1. I did this several times and the same address came back. Unlike the wifi example above nothing was changing.

It must be this laptop's settings as our two smartphones connect to the wifi router and the other laptop as well and speed is not an issue.

I should also mention that the driver config screen in windows said there was a problem connecting to the default gateway but it repaired itself. However not even one page loaded quickly without the problem reappearing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because you connected to a different wireless network?

3. elephant_car

Hi no it connected to same wi fi network.

4. elephant_car

by the way I do have nortons security software installed. Could that be causing this?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only other thing that comes to mind to explain "The default gateway address had changed" is that you have multiple Dhcp servers on your LAN and the computer disconnected from the wireless and then reconnected and a different Dhcp server responded (first).

6. elephant_car

HI I have a new DLINK DIR-655 wifi router connected to a non-wifi router which is connected to the phone line. Is it possible the laptop is somehow through the wifi link getting confused with the two of them?

Funnily enough today 11.9mbps today via wifi???!! Its not slowed down. Very weird but this happened before..

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using the DIR-655's WAN port or a LAN port? If a LAN port then its Dhcp server should be disabled.

8. elephant_car

hi it has one port on it called internet - I have a cable from the non-wifi router going into this port. It also has 4 LAN ports and a USB port.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In this context "internet" = "WAN." I don't have any other ideas on how"The default gateway address had changed."

10. elephant_car

ok thanks for your help

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice