1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi Connection Getting Worse Over Time (2-4 days)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 0in1, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 0in1

0in1 Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a custom-made computer from a well established business in the UK.

The computer arrived and as I was installing everything onto it, the internet dropped out a few times. I thought nothing of it and continued. After a day or two, the dropping out happened more and more until after about 4-6 days, it become unusable.

I contacted the business, and they sent out a new network card. Whilst I was waiting for this to arrive, I tried using a USB adaptor instead of the installed card. This worked fine, until again, after 2 days or so, it started having the same issues and then stopped working completely after a similar amount of time.

The new network card has now arrived and after 2 days, the errors seem to start to be happening again. It has dropped out 3 times now and looks as though to be getting more frequent like before.

I have tried numerous attempts to fix the errors - resetting the adaptor, reinstalling the adaptor, pausing anti-virus, and all the other methods I could find online - but none have made any difference. Using the troubleshooter works okay for the first few times, but as the issue gets worse, it becomes less and less effective. The errors it reports change but most often it is related to a gateway not being available, or there being some form of IP issue.

Perhaps worth noting is that I use my phone as a hotspot as the internet signal is terrible where I have the computer. However, I've tested it, and it works absolutely fine with other devices and whilst the issues are happening on the computer, everything else runs fine. The computer is the only thing to run off the hotspot normally, and the phone has full signal.

In terms of what happens with the computer when the error is happening - the webpage refuses to load, shows no connection, and after a few moments the little yellow triangle appears over the WiFi signal. For the first few days, it will reconnect after troubleshooting, however as time goes on, it refuses to reconnect and just sits there trying.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

The basic computer specs are as follows:
    Windows 10 PRO
    AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    16GB RAM

Thank you for your help,

Michael

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Out of interest, when you do get the yellow icon, check the IPCONFIG result and see what the IP address is. After it happens, try this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

3. 0in1

0in1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the rapid response! I'll try this when it does it again.

Do you think the problem could be hardware related? It seems so odd that it deteriorates over time.

All the best,

Michael

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Since you have used 2 different adapters i suspect something going on with the networking part of your computer.

I assume this is Windows 10? (edit: i just saw you noted Windows 10 Pro) Also are you able to connect via Ethernet?

5. 0in1

0in1 Thread Starter

I'm in an outbuilding from our house which doesn't have any network connections unfortunately. If the problem persists, I will take the computer back into the house and try it there. I just wanted to cover all basis before having to do that! That would be better than sending it back to the shop though..

If your suggestions don't work, does it point to the hardware setup of the computer? Faulty motherboard, bad wiring etc..?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    hmm.. maybe try updating the drivers for the network card, and motherboard chipset.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're using cell data--hotspot from your phone, right? Before suspecting the computer or three wireless adapters I'd suspect the phone or your data service plan (maybe your carrier is slowing or interrupting your service after some "excessive" usage?).

8. 0in1

0in1 Thread Starter

Hi Terry, thanks for the response.

I would think that too, but I've used it with my laptop previously doing the same work and had no issues. In fact, I probably used it more! It might be worth me getting in contact with my provider to check, though I have 60gb contract?

Thanks,

Michael

9. 0in1

0in1 Thread Starter

Hi again,

I tried your previous tips earlier today after it cut out twice and haven't had the issue again, but there's still time! Fingers crossed that fixed it. If not I will try updating the motherboard chipset.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice