1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wifi connection slow on desktop but not on laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheTitanova, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheTitanova

TheTitanova Thread Starter

Hiya. For a while I've been experiencing that my download and upload speeds seem to vary wildly while on my computer, however they always seem to be MUCH lower than on my laptop. When using speedtest.net my laptop tends to average around 25 mbps downloading and 15 mbps uploading. Occasionally my desktop will peak and be slightly better (best I've seen today is 37.55 mbps and 19.03 mbps uploading) but the grand majority of the time it seems to hover at around 5 mbps download and 1 or 2 mbps upload. I don't understand why this is. Things I have tried:
    Updating to Windows 10 on desktop (not that I am on my laptop)
    Updating the drivers for my TRENDnet 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter wireless adapter (tried, no need as they're up to date)
    Turning off power saving mode (I don't know why this was enabled on a desktop but it was)
    Turning off the windows option to "disconnect this device to save power"
    Cleaning in the inside of my desktop tower
    Changing my IPv4 DNS server values
    And I have also tried running a full virus scan, malware scan and uninstalling every program I installed in the last month

And I know it is almost certainly not interference due to the fact that my laptop sits directly above my PC tower, both a whole floor away from the router, and the laptop does okay. For the sake of checking I have tried moving the laptop to a different room but that is not the cause of the problem. In addition to the speedtest.net results given earlier, when going to network and sharing centre and clicking on my connection, the 'speed' is listed as 6 mbps but often jumps all the way to exactly 52 mbps, with no figures in between. Very occasionally I see '78 mbps' but that will be not very often at all.

I live in a rural part of England in the UK, and my ISP is Plusnet, if this is relevant. My security type is WPA2-Personal. I am also a video game streamer, both for watching and making my own content, I mention this not as a promotional thing but it means my usage for the internet is quite high. I am not especially tech-savvy so I mention that in case it matters.

Sorry if I have missed any relevant information, and sorry to come to you with this problem. I have tried sorting it on my own, and even tried waiting for over a week to see if the problem would stop on its own but it's not. I'd be ever so grateful to anyone who can help.

It is worth noting that my signal strength on my computer varies but it tends to hover between 2 and 3 bars out of 5. Is the issue purely on that? And if so what would you recommend?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. TheTitanova

With any luck, this is all the information you wanted? Thank you for at least taking an interest, very grateful

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The signal is too weak for a reliable connection. It needs to be at least -70 dBm (remembering that closer to zero is better).

The problem could be distance or it could be obstructions. Try small re-positioning of the router and/or adapter's antenna to reduce obstructions. Also try reorientation of the router antenna(s) if the external pole type.

Your laptop may be doing better because of better antenna. But a common problem with a desktop is that the adapter's antenna is placed where the signal is blocked by the computer itself.

5. TheTitanova

I've tried moving the adapter to a different USB port at the front of my computer, and certainly enough my download speed is at 34 mbps and my upload at 17 mbps, a tremendous improvement. Retesting and retesting because I am used to fluctuation, but it seems to really be consistent. Due to how much it seems to change throughout the day I'd like to keep this open until morning just to be sure nothing changes overnight, but I do believe that's fixed it (Even though the signal is still -74 dBm?). Like I say, I just want to check. Thank you so much, I can't believe it was so simple as swapping USB ports.

EDIT: Just like to say this is definitely a fix, thank you so much

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice