1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nmorig, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nmorig

Nmorig Thread Starter

Hello, I'm new here. I just got a very old laptop, and I know nothing about computers. I know its microsoft run and im trying to get it connected to my up to date wifi, but it isnt working out. In the control panel it recognizes that the wifi is there but it says it has limited or no connectivity. It also says its problem is that the network did not assign a network address to the computer. ive done a little research on this but still nothing has worked. my wifi does need a password but it hasn't yet asked for it.

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Given that the laptop is old, it might be that the laptop wireless adapter does not support newer standards far as the security on the router. You could test this by temporarily disabling the security on the wireless router and see if the laptop will then connect.

Beyond that we need to know the following:
    Make and model of the laptop?
    Make and model of the wireless adapter?
    Current operating system?

3. Nmorig

Nmorig Thread Starter

The opertating system is Widows XP I believe. The laptop is an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC, at least that's what it says on the cover, and based off of online images I think its dv6 whatever that means. And for the wireless adapter it is an xfinity ARRIS TG862, again based off of online images and what it says on the front of it. Also a quick update, I've got an Ethernet cable and attached it directly to the laptop and the wireless adapter and still the same problem.

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Try a TCP/IP reset.
    Click Start, and then Run. In the Open box, enter the following command, and then press enter. cmd

At the comand prompt, enter the following commands and insure to press enter after each command. Once complete, restart the computer and try the connection again.
    netsh winsock reset (press enter)
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (press enter)

Restart the laptop.

5. sewhoppy

sewhoppy

I followed the directions and when I entered "netsh int ip resetlog.txt" the computer replied that the command was not found.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice