1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi connectiong disconnected during user switch ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by awds, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awds

awds Thread Starter

whenever i switch users, the internet connection gets disconnected on the previous users. Is there anyway i could set it so when i switch users, the previous user is still connected. like connected on aim. and switch users and ill still be on aim.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want to reserve a resource, in this case a NIC, to one specific user even when that user is "switched out"? Pretty sure that's not possible with Windows, and wouldn't be very useful anyhow since Windows is really just a one user at a time system.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

awds & TerryNet:
    TN: that which you write may apply to Wi Fi, but not on my Win XP Pro SP2 ethernet connection. I can switch users & maintain my ethernet connection.

awds:
    When did the problem begin? OR Has your wi fi connectivity ever worked the way you want it to work?
    If it changed, when?
    Can you associate the change with an addition / upgrade / update of hardware or software? [ to include update of AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Firewall, Windows ].
    Which OS [ if XP, Home, Pro, Media Ctr ] & SP?
    Which WiFi card? Which router?
    Are you using Windows' wifi connection utility or that associated with your Wi Fi card, or 3rd party?
    Are you using encryption? If yes, what type?

Sincerely,
    RF123

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I can switch users & maintain my ethernet connection."

Is this what you mean: user1 logged in and is browsing, say, www.whatever.com via the ethernet connection; switch users to user2; now user2 cannot use the ethernet connection because user1 is still controlling it (and connected to www.whatever.com)?

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Yes, TN.

The user is not CONTROLLING the ethernet connection / ethernet card. I don't know, however, about wireless connections.

When did the problem begin? OR Has your wi fi connectivity ever worked the way you want it to work?
    If it changed, when?
    Can you associate the change with an addition / upgrade / update of hardware or software? [ to include update of AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Firewall, Windows ].
    Which WiFi card? Which router?
    Are you using Windows' wifi connection utility or that associated with your Wi Fi card, or 3rd party?
    Are you using encryption? If yes, what type?

RF123

6. awds

awds Thread Starter

windows media edition
    intel proset software

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

fwiw:
    my son/wife/guest users on a wireless dell laptop/xphome-sp2 and another dell desktop/ethernet/xphome-sp2, plus my stuff thru a linksys 54g wireless router, can flipflop back and forth between users many times thru the day and with every switch the encrypted wifi connection stays the same and there is no dropping of the connection thru the ethernet.

you've got other issues and until you respond to some of the questions, the loop continues..

8. awds

awds Thread Starter

never tried doing user switching while staying connected through wifi. only encryption is wpa personal tkip.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the computer is connected all the time, whether ethernet or wifi, only the users switch.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks, Bearone2.

awds, please provide answers to the rest of the questions.

If it changed, when?

Which WiFi card?

Which router?

regarding the wi-fi card, provide a screen shot

How to create a screen shot.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/screenshot.mspx

Near the bottom, where it says "save as type", left click on the down pointing arrow.
    look for jpeg or jpg.
    Left click on jpeg or jpg.

Come back to this forum & thread.
    Left click the button "go advanced".
    Left click the button "manage attachments".
    Browse to the location of the file.
    After you have found the file, left click the button "upload".
    When finished, left click "close window".
    Left click the button "submit reply".

Posting a screen shot at this forum.

Send a screen shot of your network adapters in device manager.
    RIGHT click "my computer"
    Left click "properties"
    Left click "manage"
    maximize the screen
    On the left, left click "device manager
    On the right, left click on the "+" to the left of "network adapters"
    If you have only 1 item, RIGHT click on the device
    Left click "properties"
    Left click on the "drivers" tab

RF123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice