1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi device freeze lapto when install driver

Discussion in 'Networking' started by micmacuk, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micmacuk

micmacuk Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a problem installing WiFi devices on my laptop. When I install the drivers the laptop just freeze and I need to swich off. When I swicht back on the device has a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.

The laptop is a Compaq evo 1020 with XP pro sp2
    I have tried with a Neatgear WG511v2 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card 32-bit CardBus 802.11g
    and also a Belkin 54 Mbps USB 802.11g.

So both usb and pc card freeze but if I do a wire connection from the router on the ethernet port there is no problem at all.

I have also reinstalled windows in case something was corrupted ...but no result.

Would someone have any idea ?

Cheers
    Francois

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How much RAM?

3. micmacuk

micmacuk Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

Good point but think have enought 640Mb

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep, you have enough. I asked because on my old laptop with only 128MB I get a similar freeze trying to install a PCMCIA dial-up modem with XP Pro. It worked with both Win 98SE and 2k Pro. Was thinking might be something similar.

Sorry, I have no idea why your installs would fail. Make sure you have the latest Netgear and Belkin drivers, but even if you have wrong ones there should no be that kind of problem.

5. micmacuk

micmacuk Thread Starter

Just had a thought and remember that when I reinstalled Windows, during the installation process, Windows asked for tel number area code for my country, workgroup and domain name....and this is the first time I encounter such a question during installation.
    Could it be linked with my problem ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice