wifi dial-up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gunnar8

Is there such a thing as dialup wi-fi connection?

I am not able to get hi speed connection at home but would like to use laptop wirelessly at home . What do I do?

Wireless connectivity requires a broadband internet service (DSL, hi-speed, cable). Dial-up service will not work with any wireless router I've ever seen.

Sorry bud.

gunnar8

Thats too bad. Guess I'll either have to move or continue living in the dark ages. I'm really trying to avoid replacing my modem which just got blown out by lightning. at work the computer works wonderful on the hi speed wifi connection.

There are certain ISP's who are now providing high-speed service through 'wireless' receivers. Basically instead of a cable coming into your house, It's just an antenna receiver. Think of it like you're using your cell phone to connect to the internet. This may be available in your area, but it does come at a premium price. My parent's just got this type of service, and they live out in the country where no regular high-speed services are available.

I'm not sure how well this would work in conjunction with another wireless router, since the two may cause interference, but at least you'd have a faster connection. It's something to look into.

Here's the Bell Canada page featuring their wireless high-speed service:
https://www.highspeedunplugged.sympatico.ca/CustomerPreSales/Landing/Home.aspx

Perhaps there's something similar in our area.

gunnar8

If it were available I'd have it. Our only option at this time is satellite and I hate to pay the premiums they are asking for. Thanks for your response Jones.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online