Wifi disappears for laptop only...?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DTamps24

So I am working on a HP Pavilion using Windows most updated version. The problem I am having is very inconsistent and I have zero notable causes so any help is appreciated!:giggle:

At some point during any given week my laptop will lose my wifi signal for my apartment - as in it won't even recognize it exists anymore. No other devices in my place have any issues, and when I plug into the ethernet port in my wall (it's a fiber set-up so the router/modem is in the ceiling or something so I do not have access) the internet works just fine. I tried calling my provider and they said everything is totally good on their end and it must be a device issue, and advised me they would only do a reset during emergency situations. My laptop also has no problems connecting to a Hot Spot or any other wifi signals away from home.

When this happened originally I tried just about everything from Google (uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, reboots, etc.) and nothing worked. Then a few days later the internet just showed back up randomly as a wifi option and connection was reestablished. Now that it has occurred again and I don't feel like waiting a few days to have internet back... :rolleyes: Any thoughts as to what the problem could be? Thanks in advance!

Couriant

James
If it’s one device then I would suspect the wireless connection on the machine. When it does connect does it show full connection?

do you know if it’s connecting to a 5GHzor a 2.4GHz?

DTamps24

If it’s one device then I would suspect the wireless connection on the machine. When it does connect does it show full connection?

do you know if it’s connecting to a 5GHzor a 2.4GHz?
Yes, when it does connect the connection is totally fine! And I believe 2.4GHz.

TerryNet

Terry
When it does not detect the apartment wireless is any other wireless network detected? If not, does the wireless adapter still appear as "ok" in Device Manager and in Network Connections?

Is the latest correct wireless driver installed (or just whatever Windows decided to install)?

DTamps24

When it does not detect the apartment wireless is any other wireless network detected? If not, does the wireless adapter still appear as "ok" in Device Manager and in Network Connections?

Is the latest correct wireless driver installed (or just whatever Windows decided to install)?
Yes, plenty of other networks appear and my hot spot will connect very easily when I need to use it, and the network adapts all show working properly.
The latest that I have found is installed yes.

DTamps24

Okay... So I have the Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter, which according to what I have seen b/g/n is a 2.4GHz band. But when I use a wifi analyzer on my phone is shows my apartment is broadcasting on 5GHz. But I do see both 2.4 and 5 types of wifi options in my list of available networks (barring my specific apartment).

Couriant

James
Okay... So I have the Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter, which according to what I have seen b/g/n is a 2.4GHz band. But when I use a wifi analyzer on my phone is shows my apartment is broadcasting on 5GHz. But I do see both 2.4 and 5 types of wifi options in my list of available networks (barring my specific apartment).
The reason is that the Realtek is a 2.4GHz only chip. I think that you are getting interference from other networks on your wireless. When you saw the analyzer, did you happen to see the channels the 2.4GHz networks are on? If the majority was on 1, and yours is on 1 also, try changing to channel 6 or 11. Same for if the other networks are on 11, change to 1 or 6.

Alternatively, perhaps invest in a $20-25 USB .AC wireless adapter that can connect to the 5GHz networks and see if that improves your connection when connecting to 5GHz

DTamps24

The reason is that the Realtek is a 2.4GHz only chip. I think that you are getting interference from other networks on your wireless. When you saw the analyzer, did you happen to see the channels the 2.4GHz networks are on? If the majority was on 1, and yours is on 1 also, try changing to channel 6 or 11. Same for if the other networks are on 11, change to 1 or 6.

Alternatively, perhaps invest in a $20-25 USB .AC wireless adapter that can connect to the 5GHz networks and see if that improves your connection when connecting to 5GHz
There are not any other channels on my band, but if I wanted to change to 6 or 11 without being able to plug directly into a router how would I go about that?
And I will definitely look into that option, thank you James!

Couriant

James
What channel is yours set to? If yours is not on 1, 6, or 11, or it's set to Auto then you will need to change it to one of the 3 channels. Considering your issue, I suspect that your channel is set to Auto.

You will need to access the router to change the channel. Most ISPs will allow you to do this, or at the very least your ISP can make the change for you.

DTamps24

What channel is yours set to? If yours is not on 1, 6, or 11, or it's set to Auto then you will need to change it to one of the 3 channels. Considering your issue, I suspect that your channel is set to Auto.

You will need to access the router to change the channel. Most ISPs will allow you to do this, or at the very least your ISP can make the change for you.
Unfortunately trying to access the IP address on the web is not working, so I will contact my ISP and see if they can alter the channel to a better one. Thanks again and will update if it resolves the issue.

Couriant

James
It should be your Default Gateway IP Address. If you go to Command Prompt and type ipconfig and press enter, you should be getting the IP address. For example:

1627876221994.png

DTamps24

It should be your Default Gateway IP Address. If you go to Command Prompt and type ipconfig and press enter, you should be getting the IP address. For example:

View attachment 289738
Correct, but because I cannot access my wifi as an option, I can only plug into the ethernet and try the one I have and it still won't let me access it. The browser simply times out.

Couriant

James
OK, thn that may be due to the settings on the modem so you would need to ask the ISP on that one.

TerryNet

Terry
Seems to be a strange intermittent adapter failure or an intermittent incompatibility between the adapter and router*. If you can't make the changes James is suggesting or they don't help I think his advice to get a USB wireless "ac" adapter is in order.

* Note: I do not disagree with the idea of wireless interference, but it is quite unusual for such interference to make a strong network disappear completely.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts