WiFi disconnections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crius

I'm using:
- WinXP Pro (in French, so I hope everything below is properly translated)
- Trendnet 802.11g Wifi card

My desktop PC is connected to my ADSL modem via a Wifi card. Everything works fine except for continuous disconnections.

- Windows sends a popup (from the Wireless network connection icon in the taskbar) telling me it's lost connections:
"One or more wireless networks are unavailable"
I then dclick on the icon and get the "Wireless network connection" window, click on "connect" and I can surf again. This happens quite often, every 10 minutes or so.

- Everytime I restart my pc, I need to go to "Start" => "Configuration Panel" => "Network Connections" => "Wireless Networks Connection" => "Properties" => go to the "Wireless Network Configuration" tab and select "Use Windows to configure my wireless network" option.
If I don't do this I can't connect to the internet.

I've tried the following troubleshooting:
- Turned off all appliances, just leaving the PC and Wifi Modem running to see if there are any interferences. This didn't solve the problem.
- Changed Channels. Didn't help
- The Signal is excellent (in the 80%)

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

Check for the newest driver for your wireless cand and a firmware update for your ROuter/WAP . . you can find them at the manufacturers website.

wrs

Are you using Windows to manage your wireless connedtion or the softrware that came with the card . . If you have SP2, letting windows manage the connection is usually less troublesome.

wrs

Crius

I'm letting Windows (SP1) manage the connection, otherwise it doesn't work at all.

The SP1 wireless connection management is not nearly as good as the one in SP2.

What is the brand of the WAP? . . did you upgrade to the newest firmware on it? . . That usually takes care of this problem.

wrs

Crius

It's Trendnet WEP-423PI. My driver version is 6.0.5.30 and firmware version 1.2.0.13. Both are the latest.

Crius

No this is the only one, unless some neighbours use some (which is unlikely). Is it possible that it's Windows or hardware problems (just bought it yesterday).

I find it odd that I need to configure Windows everytime I restart my PC. Is there a way to make sure it stays configured?

Thanks for your helping efforts so far.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online