Wifi dongle detects mobile hotspot but not wifi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PrancerTran

hi
have a netgear wn1100 dongle
drivers are updated
windows 10 64 bit
i7 4790 processor

it is not detecting the wifi. detects once when i change it to other usb but disconnects after sometime and then does not detect the same connection again.
the same connection is working fine on other devices and is detectable
then i try using mobile hotspot and then this netgear dongle detects the hotspot and also doesnt disconnect at all.

what seems to be the issue?

thanks

TerryNet

Terry
what seems to be the issue?
You are using an old "N150" USB adapter (I call N150 "1/2 n" as it does not support the full 802.11n spec) and I suspect that it is only semi-compatible with many wireless networks.

My advice: if it works well enough for you then live with it; otherwise buy a newer (802.11ac) adapter.

PrancerTran

even a newer adapter is not able to detect the network

router: D-Link Wireless Router N300 DIR-615
adapter: TP-LINK WiFi Dongle 300 Mbps (TL-WN823N)

TerryNet

Terry
I'm assuming that you test with the PC 10 - 15 feet from the router and with a clear path from router to adapter.

If the adapter is version V2 or V3 and you have installed the latest TP-LINK driver I do not have any ideas. If it is version V1 there appears to be no Windows 10 driver provided by TP-LINK.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online