1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi Extender or Upgrade to N Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nimbah, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimbah

Nimbah Thread Starter

At the moment the Wireless Router[​IMG] is located in my bedroom which is 12 meters from the living room where the phone line is. I basically have one phone line extension from the telephone line to my bedroom where I've plugged in the ADSL filter. The modem part plugs into the actual router and the telephone line is then extended back to the living room with a second extension cable. As you can imagine this leaves a lot of wires around as the cables are really long. It's hard to move furniture around etc and quite frankly just doesn't look nice.

What I'd like to do is have a WiFi dongle for my PC and move the router to the living room. Now the problem is that my phone gets a very weak WiFi signal once you go 10m+ so I imagine if I moved the router to there then I would barely get a signal in my bedroom.

I have two options to solve this:

(1) Use a WiFi extender in between my room and the router and then a dongle for my computer

or

(2) Upgrade my current G router to an N router. Problem is I'm not too sure the signal will reach my room. There's a 12 meter range from the living room to my bedroom btw.

Here's my choice for an N router:
    Belkin N Wireless Modem Router F5D8233 + N wireless USB Adapter 300Mpbs F5D8053 (B5DUK060)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless [...] 337ebac873

or

Wireless N Modem Router 300 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Belkin Surf+ N300 F7D2401
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless [...] 337dcceb8c

& the extender will be this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps- [...] 4abce5fa55

So which should I do? Extender or a new router?

I've heard that extenders are really bad as the signal quality is cut and also it always drop connections etc. is this true?

Also would an upgrade from a G to an N router increase my coverage? Would it actually make a difference? The way I see it is that even though my phone is quite old ( Galaxy S1) there's no reason for it not to be able to get a good signal from a router just 10 meters away. My other phone also loses signal greatly when it gets to these distances. My laptop on the other hand gets a good signal.
    Btw my current router is a Gigaset SE527 G router. I got it with my broadband package[​IMG] about 2-3 years ago.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    12 meters is well within the range of 802.11g. 802.11n has much greater range but that may not help you if your problem is poor or loose antennas on the adapters or obstructions in the path from router to adapter.

The best solution is to place the modem (or modem/router combo) where the phone line will be the shortest and best. Then run ethernet cable(s) to your computer or to where a router or wireless access point will give you good Wi-Fi service. If you can't run the cable through walls, along duct work, to the attic or basement, maybe you can run it along where ceiling meets wall.

A Repeater (or Range Extender) will slow the network, but may otherwise work very well. Or not. Can't predict.

Homeplugs (ethernet over the electrical system) is another solution that works great--better than Wi-Fi--for some people and not at all for others. Depends on the quality of the electrical system and is also difficult to predict. If you try this method buy returnable equipment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice