1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi extender?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by imnoangel, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imnoangel

imnoangel Thread Starter

Hi all,

We have great internet service with our cable company. We use their modem/router which works great in our mobile home and out into the yard. My problem, we have a small camper beside the mobile home that I use as a classroom, I home school, and the kids use as a hangout/gameroom. Wifi reception in the camper is not so great. We have an ethernet cable going out to it that the main schooling laptop is connected to so no problem there. The 2nd laptop on wifi no problem for the most part, drops signal maybe once or twice a month. Its the other things like tablets, phones etc that has little or no signal. I bought 2 wifi extenders, used, Netgear Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (WN2500RP) and a TP-Link TL-WA850RE. Both seem fine for a day or 2 then continually drop the signal. I know that since both the mobile home and camper have metal siding that that is an obstacle for the signal to overcome. Can anyone recommend a good extender/repeater that is better suited for my situation? I'm looking to spend around $75 to $100.

Thanks

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would install an actual wireless access point on that Ethernet connection and make all your laptops go wireless. I would also set up a dedicated SSID for use in the classroom. I am not a fan of using any extenders/repeaters.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While problematic, Range Extenders (Repeaters) are a reasonable solution when it is impossible or very inconvenient to run an ethernet cable. You already have an ethernet cable in the desired location!

I was confused by the user manual, but it appears that you can use the Netgear as a Wireless Access Point (and probably also connect three additional devices by ethernet).

4. imnoangel

imnoangel Thread Starter

Hi,

If you mean connecting the Netgear to the ethernet cable for the wireless access point I can't. According to FAQ #3 the extender can't be connected to the router by an ethernet cable it can only connect wirelessly to it.

If I understand correctly, I can buy a Wireless access point device, put it on the ethernet cable I have running into the camper from the main router and have everything wifi in the camper?

Thanks

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes. You can connect wireless AP to the Ethernet cable to provide wireless to the camper. If you want to maintain the ability to connect something via wired, you can add a switch and have that Ethernet cable plugged into the switch and then connect the AP to that switch.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice