1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIFI Has been acting up for 2 weeks, please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by YTZ973, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YTZ973

YTZ973 Thread Starter

My family has been on Spectrum Community Internet for a couple months or a year and we have had a problem before. Our last problem was when we couldn't connect our security camera, PS4, and other devices to the wifi, we fixed that by contacting Spectrum and talking to someone who helped us find the registered devices page which allowed us to add or remove registered devices from our wifi (at that time there were only 13 devices, this will be important later).

About 2 weeks ago I tried to watch Netflix on our tv and it wouldn't start any movies or shows it would just give me this weird error saying "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again." We also got a similar error on Hulu saying "You appear to be using an anonymous proxy tool. Disable it to play videos on Hulu". This was weird not only because no one in my house uses VPNs, unblockers, or anything of that nature but also because this error appeared on Hulu and Netflix via our Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, PS4, and Xbox One, and I don't even know how to use any VPN on anything but a phone or computer.

After that internet connection was spotty for a couple days but after getting someone to come over and look at our box (On community wifi they come to the complexes and install a router, modem, and access point into the wall this is what he checked) he said there was no problem with it and no problem on spectrums side so we called someone who worked with spectrum again and they took us to the registered devices website again but this time there were 40 registered devices and most were unnamed except for an amazon kindle. No one in my house has ever owned a Kindle and we have had no more than 20 devices registered at a time so we were pretty spooked and my dad was quick to say someone hacked our wifi but I wasn't sure, the guy from Spectrum helped us delete all the devices from the registered list so we could start over to be safe and he also told us we should change our wifi password which can only be done by the management office of the complex when you're on Community Wifi. After all this my dad went to the management office of our complex and asked them to change our password (don't know if it is important but my dad had been arguing and screaming at the ladies in our management office to help us fix the problem on and off for a couple of hours at this point because no one seemed to know what was wrong and the management kept telling us to call Spectrum and Spectrum kept saying call the office and we were getting frustrated) the management "gave us a new password" and it never worked. I'm not surprised because the password was only 1 capital letter and 6 numbers, and most passwords today require more characters, various symbols, upper and lower case etc etc.

Since then we have finally been able to connect some devices to wifi but we still have Netflix and Hulu saying we are using a proxy or unblocker, I've done as much digging as I can with my limited knowledge and all I found is that nothing says we are using a proxy, unblocker, or VPN. We are at our wit's end with this between the wifi working sometimes and when it's not working having to use our phone hotspots. We can't get rid of community wifi since it's in our rent contract and no one can tell us how to fix this, we would be extremely grateful if anyone could help us.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice