1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Noble1967, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

I have just got myself a new lap top that has wifi and i hoped i would open the box and off it would go with no problems Idiot that I am...

Can anyone please please help i have managed to get the wifi to work through my home internet broadband with the help of AOL who told me how to get a key to get on.

The issue I have is that anywhere else i try will not connect starbucks service stations ect, The computer is showing there is a signal and trys to connect but it will not connect.
    What is wrong???? do i need to have set up something??

Place I got the laptop from will not help as it works with aol, aol cant help any further whats the problem.....?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Make and Model of computer?
    Operating System?
    Make and Model of Wireless Network Card?
    Make and Model of your Wireles router?
    etc........
    Any relevant information you can give to us about your computer and home network, really does help.

3. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

have found the following if any use. Bradcom 802.11g & NVIDA Nforce?

4. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

the laptop is a acer5520 i am aol. the laptop runs on vista. i really have no idea what to do as it works from home but not when outside at another location.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "will not connect starbucks service stations ect"

Are any of the ones you've tried unsecured?

Have you tried with any free public hotspots (e.g., Panera Bread, library)?

6. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

Yes all the ones I have tried are unsecured sites like BT

7. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

The wifi sites i usual try to get logged onto when not at home are WIFI Zone The CLOUD & BT Openzone does this help?

8. Noble1967

Noble1967 Thread Starter

i have just found out that I would need to pay to get on the web through the sites I have listed.
    Can anyone tell me places that give free wifi and if so would I need access key or would my laptop connect automatically?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be pretty difficult (really impossible) to give you places with free WiFi not knowing where in the world you are. I can tell you a local place that's about a mile from me that has free WiFi, so if you're in SE-PA in the US, you're all set. ;)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reddick library in Ottawa, Il.

If you are not near John or me this site or a similar one may help you: http://www.jiwire.com/

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hotels/motels sometimes secure their networks and you have to get the key from the front desk. But most truly free public hotspots are unsecured.

If you are set up to connect to 'any' network, your laptop will connect automatically. That is also a security risk, so I advise that you configure to only connect to "preferred" networks. Then when another network is detected your utility will advise you of that fact and you have the choice of whether to connect or not; and if you connect you should have the option to connect one time only or to make it a preferred network.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice