1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi help when travelling: can't find IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Prairychick, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prairychick

Prairychick Thread Starter

I just bought a NetGear Wireless USB adaptor to use while travelling. I'm running a laptop with WinXP (SP2). I have cable internet at home and don't want to change everything over to wireless at this point, so testing it has been tricky.

I drove over to my local internet cafe just to configure it. I know it was able to detect the network of the cafe, because it knew the name of the place. However, it never got past "acquiring network address" although I waited about 10 minutes. Is this the IP address?

I sometimes have trouble with this computer being unable to find the IP address on my cable internet, so I just go in and key in the address. My question is, is that IP address my computer's address? Can I key that in? or was something wrong? And should I use the NetGear network config utility, or the one that came with Windows?

2. blin

blin

souns like configuration or security settigns issue. this may help, http://www.howtonetworking.com/wireless.htm

How to fix wireless connection issues

1. Make sure all wireless devices are using the same mode, infrastructure in the most cases.
    2. Make sure all wireless devices have the same SSID.
    3. Make sure all wireless devices have the same WEP encryption settings if you have enabled them.
    4. Make sure you have added the wireless MAC into MAC Address Control if you enable it.
    5. Use ipconfig and ping to test the connection. All wireless devices must be in the same IP range.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice