1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIFI internet speed varience between devices

Discussion in 'Networking' started by energyzer, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Hello all. Here is my set up. I have 1.5M internet service coming into my CradlePoint CTR35 wireless router. The two devices I have are my desktop, and an iPad. When doing a speed test at speedtest.net, I find that my desktop running windows 7 gets about 1.45, and my iPad is only pulling 1.36M. I realize that isn't a big deal, but why would there be a varience between the devices? Shouldn't they be able to test out the same?

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The Operating System parameter settings that determine data transfer rates are slightly different on the two machines. Differences between computers on the same LAN are normal.

With many older OS's and probably the one on your iPad these values are permanently set in the registry. They are just general values that will usually give a good data rate. Sometimes these values can be changed to improve the flow.

Starting with Vista and Windows 7, the OS actually monitored the data flow and could change some of the values to improve it.

I have two XP desktops, a Vista desktop and a Vista laptop. All will show slightly different results on speed tests to the same server.

The two XP's have the same values for all their changable settings, but one always tests about 0.04 M higher than the other.

3. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It's mostly a curiosity thing, unless there is something I can do to improve it. My iPad is an iPad 2 with iOS 5, and of course my desktop is 7, so they are the newst of both worlds. Like I said, the difference isn't that much, but was curious why the difference. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice