1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi is working, but can't connect with ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by missfrost, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to connect my laptop via ethernet cable. My computer picks up my WiFi just fine, but I can't seem to get anywhere with a cable and I have to have a wired connection for a new job (remote, working from home 100% and I have to be able to run their video conferencing software). I've watched a ton of YouTube videos, tried dozens of fixes that I found on Google, updated all drivers, but nothing has worked yet.

I called AT&T and they were able to access my modem remotely and they verified that the connection was fine on their end. My PS4 and Xbox One X are connected through the same modem and they're working with no problems. They said that it must be an issue with settings in my computer, but I don't really know where to start. I've never attempted to connect my laptop before, just always used wireless. My other devices (tablets, phones, printer, second laptop) are all wireless, too.

Here's what I'm working with: Dell laptop running WIndows 10 Home, AT&T DSL connection via Cat6e cable with modem/router AT&T Pace model 4111N.

I was afraid that a faulty ethernet cable might be to blame, so I went out and bought a new one (the Cat6e that I'm using now), but that didn't work. I unplugged the Xbox and used that cord with my laptop and that didn't work, either.

Here's the SysInfo utility info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8048 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 725 GB (577 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0JVJ94
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Could someone please help me try to get this figured out? I really don't want to lose my job. Let me know if there is any other info that would be useful and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    When you plug in the Ethernet wire, does the wifi icon change into a monitor type icon? If so, does it have a yellow shield on it or a red x?

Also open your device manager and verify your ethernet card is functional and detected by the OS.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the above did not show anything significant ...

Disable the wireless or turn "Airplane mode" on; connect the cable; and Restart the PC. If not working ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
    (In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

I have to disconnect from the wifi first, but then it does change to a monitor type icon with the yellow ! shield. The ethernet card shows to be present and working.

5. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.228]
    (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MissFrost
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-A6-C8-F0-C9-55
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 86-A6-C8-F0-C9-55

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 12-34-56-78-90-AB
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8d9c:10e4:e23b:d098%20(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.208.152(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 173865437
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-3C-58-1A-5C-F9-DD-52-B5-7A
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.pace.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-A6-C8-F0-C9-54

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

6. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

Also, and I don't know if this is helpful or not, but one of the videos or how-to articles I read a few days ago suggested going into the Connection > Properties > Configure > Advanced tab > Speed & Duplex. In that drop down, there's 10 Full, 10 Half, 100 Full, 100 Half, and Auto Negotiation. Mine was set to AN. It was recommended to change between the others and check the connection after each one and I did that. Some of the settings instantly put a red X on the connection and others did the "Attempting to authenticate" thing. After showing that it was connected, I went back into Properties and it showed "IPv4 Connectivity: Internet; IPv6 Connectivity: No network access." From there, I went back to the Connection > Properties and unchecked the IPv6 box. I refreshed and I was connected. The connection didn't last long, though. I was connected for maybe 5 minutes when the connection slowed down to a crawl. A minute or so later, pages wouldn't load and I had to drop the connection.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now I'm suspecting a defective adapter. Don't know how else to check other than trying a USB ethernet adapter (example).

8. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

I'm ordering a dongle from Amazon now. I'll see how it goes and update.

9. missfrost

missfrost Thread Starter

The dongle came today and I went back to the Cat5e cable just in case that was an issue. I plugged the dongle in and without having to install any additional drivers, the connection was there! The wifi got bumped and the broadband was instantly there! It's been stable with no lagging or disconnecting for about five hours now, so I think it's good. Thank you all so much for all your help!

Sarrah and metallica5456 like this.
  10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Good luck with the new job.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice