1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi is working, but ethernet doesnt work.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by karinho93, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karinho93

karinho93 Thread Starter

Hello to everyone, i got this problem one day ago, and i spended some time searching for fix but nothing seems to work for me.
    So i live curenlty in my campus, and I used internet normaly till this moment.
    I my room there is port to connect my laptop with internet (trough UTP cable).
    And i connected, like everyday, to that port with my computer, and suddenly it showed me no internet.

So i decided to take router, and connect it to that port. Then i connected my laptop to that router. Now i have internet. Also if i enable wifi from that router i can have working connection.
    So to understand me right it is like this:

Port(in the wall in my room)-Router-cable/wifi to my laptop >>working
    Port(in the wall in my room)-Cable to my laptop >>not working (worked before)

This doesnt happen only in my room here in campus it happens to me in all rooms, also it happens in library. The thing is i cant carry that router all the time with me so i need to fix this to work troughout my day properly.

Also to connect to campus internet i need to use proxy, which is all set up like before but ethernet doesnt work.
    I hope you all can understand what is the problem.

I have Windows 10 Edu x64.

This is how it looks on working WIFI connection with same provider:

Thank you all for reading my topic, what are your solutions?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check with campus IT to see if Wins Proxy needs to be set up. ( I am not familiar with proxy settings )

Try the cheapest thing first. Swap cable with a friend and see it works when directly connected to the wall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice