WIFI is working but Ethernet to PC Stopped DNS issues?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StocksGFX

There was recently a storm with a full power outage and my roommates and I all lost power for 24 hours. When power return both my roommate and I's PCs would not properly connect the internet via ethernet and only could connect via wifi. The error shows DNS errors. I have been trying to fix the issue for 9 hours now any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fireflycph

Morten
That makes no sense at all.

However, you could try to set the DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively. Those are Google's DNS servers.

TerryNet

Terry
I'm guessing that Morten means that the likelihood that this is actually a DNS issue makes no sense, and I agree with that.

Sounds like what got fried by the surge that usually accompanies a power outage or reestablishment is the router's ethernet switch, at least two of the router's LAN ports, multiple ethernet cables, and/or the computers' ethernet ports. My money is on the latter, but troubleshooting will be necessary.

Fireflycph

Morten
I'm guessing that Morten means that the likelihood that this is actually a DNS issue makes no sense, and I agree with that.
You are correct Terry. That's what I meant. Since the router probably hands the same DNS addresses - via DHCP - to both wired and wireless, it makes no sense that one will work and not the other.

StocksGFX

You are correct Terry. That's what I meant. Since the router probably hands the same DNS addresses - via DHCP - to both wired and wireless, it makes no sense that one will work and not the other.
So after troubleshooting and resetting router, the ethernet will work for roughly 5 minutes and they stop working again any ideas on why that would be?

StocksGFX

Sounds like what got fried by the surge that usually accompanies a power outage or reestablishment is the router's ethernet switch, at least two of the router's LAN ports, multiple ethernet cables, and/or the computers' ethernet ports. My money is on the latter, but troubleshooting will be necessary.
I did several steps of troubleshooting and nothing worked still only have wifi but no ethernet connection. When My Ethernet port is plugged into other devices like my ps4 or my girlfriend's laptop it works just fine. Thoughts?

TerryNet

Terry
the ethernet will work for roughly 5 minutes and they stop working again any ideas on why that would be?
That alone probably makes me lean towards the router's ethernet switch being at fault, but you made another post ....

When My Ethernet port is plugged into other devices like my ps4 or my girlfriend's laptop it works just fine. Thoughts?
That (at least temporarily) removes the router's ethernet switch from the suspect list.

You haven't said enough about your troubleshooting of the cables or LAN ports for me to say any more.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Was the computers plugged into the router at the time of the power outage?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online