WiFi Issue - Connectivity via _EXT Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dh058977

Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to help with this as it has me stumped! I have a 3 storey townhouse where the master socket is in the downstairs hall so this is where my router lives & then I have a WiFi extender on the 1st floor. The issue I have is that I have an old Windows 7 machine in the lounge that will happily connect to my _EXT network but wont ever connect to the internet on my normal network, no other devices have this issue.
- Sky Fibre with the 3.0 Hub
- HP Elite Desk 00G running Windows 7
- TP Link 300Mbps extender

Is this due to differing WiFi standards? Any help most welcome!

Thank you

TerryNet

Terry
What is this "_EXT network"? Is it related (if so, how?) to your "normal network"?

Fireflycph

Morten
Is it possible that the machine only has 2.4GHz capability and your “normal” WiFi is 5.0GHz?

dh058977

What is this "_EXT network"? Is it related (if so, how?) to your "normal network"?
The _EXT network is what is created by the WiFi extender - Your devices can then connect to either depending on strength. It is the same network ID with _EXT on the end

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks.

Your devices can then connect to either depending on strength.
That's just a nice theory. In practice devices connect to whatever they feel like and sometimes even switch back and forth.

Are you sure it is connected? Can you ping the range extender and router?

dh058977

Thanks.

That's just a nice theory. In practice devices connect to whatever they feel like and sometimes even switch back and forth.

Are you sure it is connected? Can you ping the range extender and router?
Yes, its connected & no other devices in the house have issues with either apart from this PC in the lounge which I can only access the internet on using the _EXT network.

To be honest, I don't switch between them at all, my devices on floor 2 are on the _EXT network as its stronger up there. This is on the ground floor so needs to use the other

TerryNet

Terry
So, with the HP Elite Desk 00G connected what can you do? That is, with what do you have communication?

In post #1 you said you connect to the extender's network. From your last words in post #7 I infer that you are connecting to the signal directly from the router. Which is it?

dh058977

So, with the HP Elite Desk 00G connected what can you do? That is, with what do you have communication?

In post #1 you said you connect to the extender's network. From your last words in post #7 I infer that you are connecting to the signal directly from the router. Which is it?
The HP computer would connect to the internet, my networked drives etc fine on the _EXT network but wouldn't connect to anything on the main network. I've just installed a SSD & changed to Windows 10 and now the issue seems to have resolved so I will mark this one as 'solved'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online