1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dano_61, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello all

I am having issues with wifi, I rent an apartment and the owner of the house has the modem on the next level up, I am in Canada and the largest internet supplier is Bell Canada and Rogers Cable, all my services are included in the rent so I am lucky so i do not want to cause waves, we had Rogers and I did not have connection issues but he switched to Bell and I am finding it drops a lot
    I have a wifi booster outside my apartment plugged in to the wall but it still drops, i am using a Tenda USB stick have have a Dell Optiplex 790
    Any suggestions

Thank you

Dan

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your device(s) drop the wireless connection? Or the "wifi booster" drops its connection to the router? Or the router drops its connection to the modem? Or the modem drops its connection to the ISP?

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Terry

My computer drops it, the USB network connector , the modem is upstairs

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the signal strength? With Windows I use the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Sometimes that's hard to get; the inSSIDer wireless tool is easier to get, but less easy (for me) to read the results.

Also, is there interference for other wireless networks?

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

The only networks in the house is Bell Canada, I do have my HP printer on this network , I did a internet speed and it is slow

6. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    The local network is wifi. The internet provider is Bell Canada. If internet speed is slow, there's not much you can do about that since the service isn't in your name.

7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

The issue is it keeps dropping, could it be my tenda usb connection

8. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    What drops? The connection between the wifi adapter on your computer and the booster or the modem/router? Or does the internet connection drop and you still have an IP from the router?

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Not sure where its dropping all I know is my internet connection is gone

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When I have a similar problem and don't know where the problem occurs all I know is to troubleshoot. It's sorta like when a car doesn't start--I either try to determine the locale of the problem (battery, no fuel, fuel pump, starter motor, starter solenoid, ...) or pay somebody to troubleshoot (and then fix) it.

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Yes i get that, this seems to be sporadic, like right now everything seems good
    my landlord has young kids I am wondering if they are playing with the modem

12. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help Terry

The internet seems better , i am going close this thread, thanks for your help

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, but I haven't really helped any. If you get more similar problems remember those utilities to which I linked in post # 4.

14. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I am thinking my issues are related to strength, i may need to get a booster

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, stop thinking and start downloading (and measuring). :D In addition to the Windows tools mentioned I understand that WiFi Analyser is very good for Android.

You said you already have a "booster." Remember that a Repeater (Range Extender) or "booster" needs to itself have a good signal from (and to) the router or AP, so you need to measure signal strength at the location, or proposed location, of that device.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice