1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi keeps dropping randomly and can't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikekeke, Dec 21, 2018.

1. mikekeke

mikekeke Thread Starter

my laptop WIFI connection keeps dropping randomly to just 2 or 1 bar and i can't connect to internet at all, but after a few seconds it turns back online or if i disconnect and connect the wifi again. it's very annoying especially when i'm playing/talking online. sometimes it happens every few hours, sometimes continuous. if i use ethernet cable the connection runs smoothly.

the problem only persists on my laptop. my bro's laptop, phones, TV are totally fine (tho i think 2 or 3 times it also affected other devices, after that just my laptop). at first i thought the problem is from my ISP/router so i contacted them and they restart the network and such but it fixed nothing. so i thought the problem came from my laptop, i updated my drivers and reinstalled windows but still nothing's fixed. i also tried using other wifi like public wifi, tethering, cousin's wifi, etc and had no problems at all. i think it only happens on my home wifi and my laptop only.

oh yeah might be worth mentioning, just very lately my phone can't connect to wifi (the wifi has "!" on it) if the mobile data is turned on.

i really don't understand what to make of this problem, any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello mikekeke,

Point one suggests that there is nothing wrong with your notebook, point two suggests that the problem is between your notebook and the wireless router and finally point three also suggests a problem with the wireless router and your phone, the common denominator appears to be the wireless router.

Do you have the same problem if you try connecting to the wireless router when you have the notebook in the same room as the router.

Do you have a problem connecting to the wireless router when there are no other wireless devices connected to the router.

Not sure who your ISP is or what deal you have with them but some routers will not connect to any more than a set amount of devices, can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the router so that we can check the specs.

Another thing to mention is that there are things that can interfere with a wireless signal, microwave or other wireless devices, cordless telephones etc, make sure that you do not any such devices between your notebook and the router.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What laptop do you have? It's quite possible that the wireless adapter and/or wireless antennas within the laptop are becoming defective.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice