1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi LAN tips?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slowhand63, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slowhand63

slowhand63 Thread Starter

Hi there. I have a Wi Fi LAN at home (802.11b). In theory this would be 11Mbps. My internet access is 3Mbps/1Mbps.

Since I am going to move to a faster connection (10Mbps download), I am afraid the wireless network can become a bottleneck.

With the current configuration, I checked the download speed before and after the router (I plugged one of my computers directly into the ADSL modem), and I noticed no difference. Conclusion, for the current speed, the WiFi router is not a bottleneck. Measured speed is something around 2.2Mbps.

To fully exploit the future, faster internet connection, I am afraid I have to go for some WLAN hardware upgrade (router and PCI card(s)). Is it the case? And does anybody know if a 802.11g protocol (theoretical 54 Mbps) would suit my new 10 Mbps internet connection?

And how can I measure the actual speed within my WLAN?

Thanks in advance for any help....

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    JohnWill has FiOS 15Mbps and has reported that 802.11g 54Mbps Wi-Fi gives good results for internet.

About the best you can get from wireless is 1/2 the nominal speed, so you are correct that 802.11b would not give you full 10Mbps internet.

3. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

I would definitely upgrade to g hardware at the least. With the theoretical 54Mbps of 802.11g, depending on your physical location and structure, you're probably going to see a noticeable increase in speed. I have two thinkpads at home, one old with 802.11b and one new with 802.11g and I sit them side by side in different locations and the g thinkpad is definitely faster to load web pages and on downloads/uploads.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My two laptops using a wireless connection, one XP and one Vista, get around 6mbit-8mbit (depending on the phase of the moon) download speeds. If I connect them directly with a cable, I get the full 15mbit connection speed. This is with the machines very close to the router and lots of signal strength. My encryption is WPA, which can affect the speeds, unencrypted speeds would probably be faster.

5. slowhand63

slowhand63 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

To conclude:

- if I go for a 10Mbps connection, I'd better choose a g connection; thought its actual data transfer rate will be in the order of 20-25 Mbps this should not hamper my Internet download capabilities
    - I did not notice main speed differences in the tests I made close to the WL router and in the attic (two floors above)

Any more thought? Post them here.....

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, the 802.11b connection will most certainly affect the transfer speeds from that 10mbit link. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice