1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amiracp, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amiracp

amiracp Thread Starter

ok i'll put it in short words now:

i have a wireless router, a windows 7 enabled laptop, It started like this, the router and the laptop were connected, i started fiddling around by logging into the router via 192.168.1.1, entered the user name and password, and did some changes in the configuration, like WPS key or something, don't perfectly remember.
    Then the router got restarted and suddenly it was network protected, its asking me for a network key to log in, i.e the wep or wpa key!!
    The router has changed the SSID from Pronet to my Laptop's name, like e.g. 'John's Laptop Network'
    and also i forgot to mention there was a windows screen which had told me to remember a password like thing, in a yellow background. I know this part is hard to explain but it usually tells you to remember passwords like these when you enter a network like public or home.

So is there a way to find such passwords which win 7 prompted, like is it stored in the computer somewhere.

Please Help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    reset the router and relogin - sounds like you messed up some of the settings
    there usually a reset on the back - a hole where you use a bent paperclip to push the reset hold for 30seconds
    and then it will be back to factory settings

relog in and set up your configuration - username password etc

3. amiracp

amiracp Thread Starter

i knew this was the solution i would get. But here's the thing. i refuse to reset my modem, is there any other possible way other than resetting?
    resetting would change my PPPoE settings and other too, since my dad uses the pc icannot let him know about this.
    Resetting is just out of the way, any other way i could get the network key??
    Please help.

4. valis

valis Moderator

well, if you don't remember the exact changes you made, you cannot go back and UNdo the exact changes you made. The best (and about the only option, again, as you do not remember the exact steps you took) is to start from scratch, and be up front with your pop about it.

5. valis

valis Moderator

and on top of that, we cannot assist with recovering passwords; may want to check out the rules page at www.techguy.org/rules.html .

thanks,

v

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice