1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi network security key ??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ElizabethMC, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ElizabethMC

ElizabethMC Thread Starter

I am currently using an open wifi network on my home desktop computer.
    My new android phone will not accept it in order to access wifi because that network is not secure.
    I am trying to connect my computer to a secured wifi network that is listed on my wifi computer settings, but it asks for the network security key when I try to connect to it.
    If the network security key is a password, I did type a password in that I am pretty sure is correct, but it keeps asking for the network security key.
    If I can't connect my phone to a wifi network, I was told that I would be working off the computer which uses far more MBs than if I connect the phone to a wifi network.
    I am soooo not technically savvy, so please be forewarned... -
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

At the screenshot click on Wifi at bottom left to switch it on, make sure Airplane mode is off by clicking the mouse over it then try entering the password again.

ElizabethMC likes this.
  3. ElizabethMC

Thank you....wifi is connected to the xfinitywifi network which is open and unsecured. My phone won't connect to the xfinitywifi network because it is not secure and considers it invalid.
    I guess I'm going to have to have a tech person remotely fix this problem.......bummer.......it's only money....o_O

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This makes absolutely no sense. Android does not block unsecured wireless networks. When you connect to the open xfinity wifi network, your Android phone should had immediately opened up a web page where it brings up the captive portal for the xfinity wifi network. There Comcast will ask you for a username and password. This username and password is the same as what you use to log in to your account on their website.

I know the above because I've done it with my Android phones and because I'm a Comcast customer. If you're not a Comcast customer, you're not going to be able to connect in as Comcast provides the xfinity wifi connectivity as part of their services package to give customers the ability to have high speed broadband away from their home.

ElizabethMC likes this.
  5. ElizabethMC

I am with comcast.
    I know what you're saying. If I want to connect to an unsecured wifi network, who's this android to tell me NO ? He thinks he's the boss of me....
    It's OK....I'll get to the bottom of it....

6. zx10guy

That's what I'm telling you. Android does not block unsecured wireless networks. The OS is smart enough to figure out there is a captive portal on a unsecured network and will bring up the web page for you to authenticate. You typically only have to do this once in the region you're connecting as it appears Comcast logs the device as an authenticated device. So next time you connect back into the wireless network, you don't have to go through the authentication again.

ElizabethMC likes this.
  7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you capture a screenshot of the error message?

As to the wireless connection, click on Network and Internet Settings, then Manage Known Networks. If your connection is there (Elizabeth-2.4) then click on that and Forget Network. Then try to connect again.

If you are not able to connect and you are not able to get into the wireless settings of the modem, assuming the wireless connection is from Comcast and not your own, Comcast should be able to get your security key by connecting to the modem themselves.

ElizabethMC likes this.
  8. zx10guy

James,

The issue is not with establishing wireless connectivity with any Comcast provided modem/router. It's through their hotspot services which can broadcast out of any rented modem/router a customer gets from Comcast if they don't disable that feature. The xfinitywifi SSID is a wireless network Comcast puts out there for any Comcast customer to access when they are away from their home. Some of these wireless connections are over modem/routers rented by customers and some are dedicated hot spots Comcast deploys in some areas. Comcast has an app where they publish locations of where the Comcast dedicated hot spots are. I used this app to locate Comcast hot spots on various trips I've made.

ElizabethMC likes this.
  9. ElizabethMC

My remote tech guy ran through the problem and discovered that the problem is my router.
    So I'll be off to Comcast to get a new router.....when it's not so darn hot an humid outside...
    Thanks, guys!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice