1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi Network showing but internet not connected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stonel, Sep 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

I have a Linksys router and a POE injector box that has an ethernet that connects to the router and then a phone cord that goes into the wall. The port it goes into on the POE says "Gnow". For over 24 hours there has been no internet even though the wifi network shows up fine.

I have tried resetting, unplugging, and getting a new phone cord because the old one was damaged.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi stonel, and welcome to TSG.

It is possible to have good WiFi connection from your computer to the wireless access point in a router, but it won't get you an Internet connection if there is a problem further down the line.

Your description of your hardware and how it is connected is a bit vague. Please provide the manufacturer's name and model numbers for all of the networking hardware involved. Also, please describe every cable used to connect the devices and the names of the ports on the devices at each end of each cable.

Since you mention a phone cord going into the wall, is it safe to assume you are using a DSL service provider for your Internet connection? If so, exactly what is the state of each status light on your DSL modem/router?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

So I take it that the PC in question is connecting via Ethernet cable ? Try switching Ethernet cables. Also try changing the port on the router.

4. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

Okay the POE injector is FirstMile

it says Model: On Acess G4102T
    MAC: 001E6E027B0F
    SN: R3A0126340

On one side there are ports called "G.now" and "phone" and then the power cord
    -The phone cord goes into the "G.now" port, and then there are 3 lights 1 that says pwr which is one, and then 2 for G now which are either yellow or green and neither is on.

-On the other side there are 2 ethernet ports called LAN nad iTV, the ethernet cord plugs into the LAN port and then into the router. The LAN light is green

The Linksys Router is EA6100
    There is a power cord, then an ethernet port that is the one that is connected to the LAN on the POE and it says internet and is green and that's it.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

So I take it that the PC in question is connecting via Ethernet cable ? Try switching Ethernet cables. Also try changing the port on the router.

6. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

No, this is for internet for my wireless laptop, ROKU TV, and iphone. it doesn't work on anything.

7. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

Okay the POE injector is FirstMile

it says Model: On Acess G4102T
    MAC: 001E6E027B0F
    SN: R3A0126340

On one side there are ports called "G.now" and "phone" and then the power cord
    -The phone cord goes into the "G.now" port, and then there are 3 lights 1 that says pwr which is one, and then 2 for G now which are either yellow or green and neither is on.

-On the other side there are 2 ethernet ports called LAN nad iTV, the ethernet cord plugs into the LAN port and then into the router. The LAN light is green

The Linksys Router is EA6100
    There is a power cord, then an ethernet port that is the one that is connected to the LAN on the POE and it says internet and is green and that's it.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found an English language web site for a networking hardware company in China called FirstMile. However, going through their product listings, I cannot find a product with a G4102T model number and they do not seem to have any online documentation for their products. Can you provide any kind of link to online documentation for this device?

EDIT: Here is a link to the product overview page on the FirstMile website:

http://www.firstmile.com.cn/product/categories

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  9. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

I don't know, i can just find that g now is G.hn technology, can't find anything about this particualr device.

10. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

here are the pictures

Attached Files:

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found some information about G.now as well.

https://www.fiberoptictel.com/what-is-g-fast-g-hn-and-g-now-technology/

It allows high-speed data over copper pair phone lines.

Without seeing any documentation for your G4102T device, I can only guess that the fact of the G.now lights being off suggesting that you do not have a working G.now connection. It could be the cord going to the wall, the wiring between the wall jack and the G.now hardware at the other end of the line, or the G.now hardware at the other end of the line. It might be time to discuss your problem with the party that is providing the G.now service.

12. stonel

stonel Thread Starter

Thanks, unfortunately the iSP is only open for service and support M-F regular business hours, it stopped working on a Friday so I wanted to try to troubleshoot so it's not out all weekend.

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    stonel, before you do the above, you can confirm if you have a working WiFi connection to your Linksys EA6100 router by trying to log into its web-based configuration pages.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice