1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi not working on ASUS laptop, LAN working fine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ralp1313, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ralp1313

ralp1313 Thread Starter

ASUS Notebook G60Vx Series

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

A few days ago my internet suddenly stopped working. I plugged in the ethernet cord and everything worked fine. Checking the properties in the device manager showed the device was working properly, I also tried resetting it to make sure it was enabled but it did not work.

Upon troubleshooting, the "Windows Network Diagnostic" said the problems was that the Wireless adapter was not turned on. Using the switch on the front of the laptop as well as the function keys does nothing. Usually a graphic pops up showing if the WiFi is on or off, changinging transparent to show the WiFi is disabled. Now when I turn the switch on it always appears transparent, effectively going from off to off

So I know the computer reads both the function keys and the switch on the front but both methods never actually turns the adapter on. I just finished a system restore and nothing has changed

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe the switch or adapter is defective. Some other ideas ...

Do you have an ASUS utility to also turn the wireless on/off? (I have an HP utility on one of my laptops that will individually control the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if the physical switch is on.)

In Device Manager right click on the adapter - Properties - Advanced tab. Sometimes there is a Property in there that allows turning the adapter on/off.

If the card is easily accessible through a cover on the laptop's bottom remove and carefully and firmly replace the card several times to fix any potential looseness or corrosion problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089705