WiFi or no WiFi?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Denys

Hi, I have recently purchaesd the Acer betouch e101 from the Windows Phone Website. It says on the Connectivity section of the site that the phone has WiFi but I can't seem to be able to find it or use it...

Here is the site with the phone specifications: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob.../windowsmobile/en-gb/devices/smartphones.mspx

Can somebody please tell me how to get the WiFi on my phone? Do I need a card or something?

Also, will it be free when connected on WiFi instead of GPRS?

Thanks,

Denys

etaf

Wayne
i would imagine it can connect to a wireless router in a hotspot, hotel, cafe, airport, to surf the web, get email etc rather than use the 3G network - should be a setting somewhere - i'll try and find a manual online to find that setting - It would be free if you are connected to a free wifi - but often in hotels and cafes they can charge for access

EDIT
OK found it
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-gb/help/v6-0/WiFi-Data-Connections-touch.aspx
If you’re near a Wi-Fi hotspot, you may be able to connect your phone to the Internet wirelessly. However, not all providers support Wi-Fi connections, so check your phone to see if this service is available.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-gb/help/v6-0/turn-wifi-on-off-touch.aspx
Turn Wi-Fi on or off
If the wireless carrier enables Wi-Fi on your device, you can turn on Wi-Fi for a wireless connection.
By default, Wi-Fi is turned off when you first start your device. To minimise drain on the battery, Wi-Fi is turned off automatically every time that you turn off your device. You must turn it on when you want to use it.
Step 1
Tap Start > Settings > Connections tab > Wireless Manager.
Step 2
Tap the Wi-Fi button. If it is turned off, the button is a lighter colour and displays an icon marked with an X.
Step 3
Tap Done.

DoubleHelix

Banned
The description on Microsoft's site says it has wifi capabilities, but the site that actually sells it doesn't. Cell phones are often modified for a carrier and features can be removed. The model you have might not support wifi. Contact either the seller or the provider.

Denys

If my phone does have WiFi capabilities - which I hope it has, would I be able to access my BT HomeHub free?

Thanks for the replies!

Denys

etaf

Wayne
yes, should be able to access any wireless network - As its a new device it should also support WPA2 wireless encryption.
But as said in my post#2
However, not all providers support Wi-Fi connections,
But thats only for Surfing and email - phone calls are via the 3G mobile network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online