1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi printer problem with Tp link router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pievo, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pievo

pievo Thread Starter

Hello, I have a problem with a Tplink W8968. My Canon printer wifi does'nt work with this router. I tried to setup the Canon with another router and it works fine. With Tplink It's impossibile to use it in wifi. If I try to install the Canon with the software - http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200210302.html - the printer does'nt work because the router doesn't assign any ip address to the printer. I tried also to put manually a Ip address but I have the same problem: the Canon is not visible by wifi. Please help me!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What channel is the router using? What channels are the printer capable of using?

What encryption is the router using? Does the printer support that encryption?

3. pievo

pievo Thread Starter

Hello Terry thank you! I tried all channels. No one works. I tried also to put off the wireless security system to avoid encryption problems. Best regards!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, that's darn discouraging. :(

Yesterday when I read "the Canon is not visible by wifi" I was thinking "the router is not visible by wifi", which is why I asked the question about channels.

I take it that the Canon does detect your network, but even with encryption turned off it does not successfully connect. Correct? And that's regardless of whether you try dynamic addressing or a static IP configuration?

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is maybe the router is set to a wireless mode (e.g., 802.11n only) that the printer does not support. On the slight chance that this is the case try wireless mode 802.11g or 'g' and 'n' mixed or something like that.

5. pievo

pievo Thread Starter

Hello Terry, when I setup my printer with the canon software (ij network tool) I can see my router/modem Tplink in both case: with and without encyption security. I tried to insert an static Ip and also to leave "automatic Ip" but after that installation my Canon is not avaiable on the network. With other router instead is very simple and after the installation you can use the Canon by wifi. I tried also to change the wireless mode but the problem is the same. I think that there is something that block the printer...

[​IMG]

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

When using the tool to setup the printer, is the USB from the printer plugged into the computer or the router?

Also during the setup what happens after confirming which network/ssid the printer should connect too?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thought of something else--if the router has Wi-Fi Protected Security (WPS) enabled, disable it and try again. It shouldn't matter, but I had trouble connecting to my router when WPS was enabled.

8. volupheles

volupheles

I have the same problem with the same router with my canon MP3560.

I've tried disabling WPS, tried all types of wireless encryption and no encyption, various routers settings, running in wireless B/G, static IP's, static ARP entries.. and probably more!

It worked once, but nothing since then!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice