WiFi Puzzle

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

westinator

Text of error messages: N/A

Hi guys, the situation is this: I want to connect my phone to my school’s wifi network and use the internet. The network is unprotected (no WPA/WPA2 password or anything) but while laptops can use it to connect to the internet, mobile phones cannot.

The IT department doesn’t want students to use mobiles on the wifi network. They have not said anything about the issue, but a friendly teacher has said that she thinks the IT department is somehow blocking mobile phones from using the network. I’ve read through all of their acceptable use agreements and using a mobile phone on the school’s network is not explicitly prohibited (and there’s no whitelist of specific devices that are allowed to use the network).

Some observations:

Friend’s old Ipod Touch connects

Phones don’t work Either shows “obtaining IP address” forever, or connects successfully and then says “internet unavailable on schoolnetwork” (Android)

laptops connect

Mac internet sharing - phones don’t connect

MAC spoofing - laptop still connects

no whitelist/registry of devices

using VPN - laptop still connects(VPN is PIA)

School doesn’t want mobiles to connect - how are they preventing it? Maybe the network is able to identify mobile phones and deny them internet access? Help!

TerryNet

Terry
How did you so quickly forget the Rules to which you just agreed?

• Circumventing Company/School/Parental or Other Restrictions (read more)
    Because we are unable to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided to those trying to circumvent Internet filters or similar restrictions and any such threads will be closed. Furthermore, we will not assist with violating the "Terms of Service" of any product, service or web site. Unfortunately, it is against Google's Terms of Service to download videos from YouTube. They have contacted us directly to request that we do not support with downloading videos from YouTube. Any posts with instructions or information about how to violate Terms of Service will be closed or removed.
Closing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts