Wifi Repeater invisible from Win10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Confused.Wifi.Guy

Hi, the problem is as simple as misterious:
I've been using a Xiaomi Wifi Repeater 2 in my home for over a year but lask week when I came home my laptop couldn't see the Wifi-repeater network any longer.
I can work with every other Wifi just fine -including the source wifi that's being repeated- and the repeater works great with any other device at home (Win10, Androids, Google Home etc).
When the repeater is on reset mode then its network is visible, when I configure it then it vanishes.

So far I've tried:
- Resetting the Wifi Repeater
- Forgetting said Wifi on the laptop from the known networks list
- Manually adding the wifi network to the list of known networks
- Resetting my Network through the Win10 option
- Updating the drivers for my Network Adapter
- Disabling/re-enabling my Network Adapter
- Unistalling/re-installing my Network Adapter
- Turning off the Power Management Save Energy option for the Network Adapter
- Disabling the Firewall
- Increasing/decreasing Wifi Roaming aggressiveness

I got no clue what else to do and I'm going insane! Using a repeater is the only way to get wifi in most of the house

Network Adapter: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
Wifi repeater: Xiaomi Wifi Repeater v2

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Repeaters are the worst things you can add to a wireless network. If you need better coverage, use a unified wireless system which utilizes multiple access points acting as one. The best system is to have the wireless APs wired together. If that's not an option, using a mesh unified wireless system would be the next best. There are plenty of options out there for home users that no one should be using a repeater now. You have options from Google WiFi, Eero, Linksys Velop, and Netgear Orbi.

TerryNet

Terry
What channel is used in "reset mode"?

To what channel do you configure it?

What channels are your wireless adapter capable of using?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
@zx10guy : Please don't divert the topic, I use a repeater because that's what I need, not because I enjoy it.

@TerryNet :
Once it's reset it picks channel 1
After configuration it picks channel 13
Channels are picked automatically and can't be changed

My wireless adapter should support them both
(specs: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca6174a )
I'm not diverting the topic. But if you want to use a product that causes more trouble than it's worth. By all means, that's your decision...hence why you're here for help. What I suggested would fix your issues permanently and make your wireless network perform even better. But what do I know?

Confused.Wifi.Guy

@zx10guy : I'm here to ask for help fixing my car not to get advices on how to buy a pickup truck.
I clearly stated what my issue is.

TerryNet

Terry
OK, guys; I think you've both made your very valid points.

My wireless adapter should support them both
I agree. But the symptoms are screaming "it's only supporting channels 1 - 11."

Sometimes there are different drivers for different regions--e.g., one for North America and one for Europe. (And remember that Windows 10 loves to sneak in a different driver behind your back.)

Sometimes there is a setting, such as specifying the region or the channel range. Check in Device Manager for the adapter's Properties--Details and Advanced tabs to see if you can spot anything like this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online