wifi repeater or bridge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jeffsaba

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to help a friend implement some technology for a working apple farm. They are using a linksys WRT54G router with a cable modem, the wifi in the main building works great. We want to extend the wireless signal to a warehouse about 1/4 mile away, we have line of sight. We've been referring to a book; "Wi-Fi Toys" by Mike Outmesguine. The book refers to both bridging and repeating, but the configuration of each is not clear to me. They've purchased long range directional antenna's and two linksys WAP54G's to be used as the downlink and access point. I've tried to configure them (referring to the book and the linksys website) as wireless repeaters and wireless bridges but I've had no luck. Has anyone set this up before (?), I'd really appreciate any coaching you can provide.
Thank you,
Jeff

TerryNet

Terry
Admittedly I am in a hurry now, but I couldn't find any indication in the specs or the User Guide that the WAP54G could be configured as a Repeater or as a Wireless Bridge. It seems to me that it is a Wireless Access Point only. Did I miss something?

TerryNet

Terry
There is nothing in the WRT54G User Guide about configuring it as a repeater or a bridge. Was there a firmware update not reflected in the manual? Or 3rd party firmware to do this?

Two WAP54G's should work as repeaters, or bridges as you seem to need. The WRT54G will not work as a bridge or repeater with the Linksys firmware. DD-WRT.com has a great firmware that will allow it to work like that. But not available for the Version 7 or 8 last I checked.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online