1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi Request timed out problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bmario, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bmario

Bmario Thread Starter

Hello!

Please help. I have a wireless router connected to the DSL modem. I can connect, browse and download files from the internet with no problems when the computer is cable connected to the router. But when the computer is wirelessly connected I experienced dropouts and randomly get "Request timed out" message when I ping Yahoo and Google. Yet I am still connected to the internet and downloads still goes on without break even if the internet connection has timed out, though I cannot run my browser and surf because of the time out. I tried this with another computer and got the same problem. I replaced the wireless router but this did not solve the problem. I did not have this problem before and it started only two weeks ago. My OS is Windows XP SP2. Any advise please?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. Bmario

Bmario Thread Starter

Here is the screen shot.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

If it's wired it works properly? Even though your display shows no wireless interference, I'd try changing the router to channel 6 and see if that changes things.

5. Bmario

Bmario Thread Starter

I am now in Channel 6 from Channel 1 but I still get random 'Request timed out' message when I ping Yahoo or Google. This occurs only in WiFi but not when I connect via cable to the router. Here is a screen shot of the Ping.

Attached Files:

6. JohnWill

Well, you seem to have hardware issues with the wireless connection. I'd start with updating the drivers, and if that doesn't do it, move on to considering a new wireless adapter.

7. Bmario

Bmario Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923322