Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifi Router+ADSL Modem.CONFUSED!

Solved 
4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  BROman2001 
#1 · (Edited)
HEY Guys,i am new to this community.
Now,I have been dealing here with a problem.I am buying a WIFI ROUTER+MODEM under INR 2500.Now the problem is that.....
First see the picture of the router i am thinking of buying.

Now will this support DSL connection or not because in the amazon questions menu somebody answered to it as to being a DSL router.
This is its NAME:
TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router
Now,if the above is not the one i am wanting then please suggest me some under INR 2500($37.50 as on 23/07/2016).
Also please tell me what can i do if i have bought the modem but want to use DSL conection.If DSL doesn't work then other options are also invited.

See less See more
#2 ·
First question, does your IP support this device?

Most IP's provide a list of modem that you have approved or at least tested with their service.

It appears to me that this is just a router, NOT a modem.

What modem are you using or plan on using with this?

#4 ·
A modem is required to connect to your Internet provider.
A router is a device to set up an local network.

Some device are a combination of the two, Modem/Router.

How are you connecting to the internet now?

#8 ·
But will it support DSL or not
Not understanding your question or what is the antecedent of "it." But I'll try to answer anyhow. :)

You are already using the modem (or modem/router) with your DSL service, right? And it has an ethernet port, right?

The TP-LINK router will work with anything, including your modem, which can connect to the router's WAN (also called Internet or Modem) port by ethernet cable.

#9 ·
Okay,MY FAULT.
I understood that it is a modem(FOR ME).
Also is the above mentioned TP-LINK ROUTER an ADSL type or just a router?
But i have only one port in my modem/router that is connected to my computer through a RJ-45 cable.
What to do:
1.Any way to connect it to my computer as well as my TP-LINK Router
OR
2.I should consider buying a new router with more than one port.

And just to clear my doubts a DSL cable is a RJ-11 cable and an ETHERNET cable is RJ-45 type?

#10 ·
A router is a router. There is no such thing as an ADSL or a cable router.
Take the cable out of your computer. Plug that cable from your current modem into the blue port on the router. Get another cable and connect it from your computer to any one of the yellow ports on the router.

The dsl RJ-11 is only used to connect from the wall to your modem. The cable from your modem to your computer is RJ-45 right? All networking cables between modem, router and computers are RJ-45.

#14 ·
Thats what i am confirming that should i have a ADSL2+ modem+router?
OR
Or should i have a modem seperate and router seperate?
The router is

This is the TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router

And the netgear one is the ADSL2+ modem +Router
Model No:Netgear D1500 N300 WiFi DSL Built-in ADSL2+ Modem Router

#21 ·
Our home is 2070 sq. ft. Our router is located toward the center of the first floor. I can get a signal inside in all rooms on the first floor. (I'm not sure about the attached garage). I can also get a signal on the outdoor patio.

I also get a signal in the basement but I decided to use Powerline adapters to have wired connections to the computers in the basement. It's more secure and the connection is faster than with wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.