Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifi Router broadcasting extra signal, keep losing internet

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
i live above a bar, and our Wifi Modem/Router is downstairs. Sometimes the signal would get weak up in my apartment, but one night an employee was messing around unplugging things and he did something to one of the machines in the process and knocked out the internet. In an attempt to get it running again, he did a number of things, including setting up multiple networks and apparently somehow got it broadcasting multiple signals.

We had a public network named "Mojos" and now there is a second signal, a Private network called "Mojos 2" - and now it seems like the router has schizophrenia; it keeps switching between the two signals. I have searched an cannot find a solution, and i need the internet for my business so this is hurting me severely. i need to eliminate the second signal.

The info i have listed is:
Connection-specific DNS suffix: Belkin
Desc.: Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125

running WifiInfoView (Nirsoft) the public network lists:
SSID: Mojos
MAC Address: 00-22-75-26-62-DB
PHY Type: 802.11n
RSSI: -72
Signal Quality: 56
Avg Sig Qual: 55.7
Freq.: 2.437
Channel: 6
Info Size: 391
Elements count: 18
Co: Belkin Int'l Inc
Router Model: N Wireless Router
Router Name: Wireless Router (WFA)
Sec: none
Cipher: None
Max Spd: 144 Mbps
Ch. Width: 20 MHz
Channels Range: 4-8
BSS Type: Infastructure
WPS Support: Configured
Min Sig Quality 4
Max Sig Qual. 60

Second Signal (differences):
SSID: Mojos
MAC Address: FA-8F-CA-35-02-E5
RSSI: -86
Sig Quality: 28
Avg Sig Quality: 27.1
Info Size: 113
Elements count: 9
Company: (blank)
Router Model: (Blank)
Router Name: (blank)
Sec: none
Cipher: none
Max Spd: 72 Mbps
WPS Support: No
Min Sig quality: 4
Max Sig Quality: 100

now i don't know much about this stuff, but as i understand it, the router normally broadcasts 2 signals, and the issue i have rather has to do with networks that have been set up? I am in dire need of help!

i'm spending hours each day just trying to connect and re-connect to my wifi every 5-10 minutes i manage to get online, anything you can suggest is very greatly appreciated.

Also, there are 6 detected wifi signals in my area on channel 6 including my own, and none listed on channel 5. would moving my router to channel 5 possibly help?

See less See more
#3 ·
channel 1 has about the same number, and channel 11 has more. i'm downtown so there are a lot of signals bouncing around. i read 1, 6 and 11 are the best, so didn't know if the others would be any better.

I really want to find a way to eliminate the extra "private" network Mojos 2. each time i connect to Mojos, after a time it switches to Mojos 2 and cuts off internet connectivity. that seems to be the real problem.

#4 ·
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are said to be the "best" because that combination is the only way to get three non-interfering channels in North America (or anywhere else that allows 1 - 11). If those three are heavily used then 3 or 4, for example, may be better than 2 or 5, but it depends on the use of all the channels.

Back to "Mojos 2," what is generating that? Do you really have a router providing both networks, or a Repeater (Range Extender) or a second wireless access point?

If you "forget" or delete the wireless profile for "Mojos 2" your computer should not connect to that network.

#5 ·
i'm going to try switching to channel 4 and see if that does any good.

When the guy who works did whatever he did to knock the internet out, he attempted to "fix it" by creating a new network. he tried to name it Mojos but it came out Mojos 2. We had Mojos as a public network. He made Mojos 2 a private network. now my signal switches randomly between Mojos(public) and Mojos 2(private) networks, and i seemingly have no control over it.

When it switches to Mojos 2, there is no internet access.

As far as i can tell they are both coming from our router, yes.

When i open Network and Sharing Center, on the left it will say: Mojos 2: Private Network and on the right it still says: Connections - Wifi (Mojos), but with "No Network Access No Internet Access"

And when i then click on Connections - Wifi (Mojos) and go to "Wifi Status" window, it still says SSID: Mojos.

How would i "forget" or delete wireless profile for "Mojos 2"? I have had the computer "forget" all the networks in the area, but then it just auto-detects them again. However, when i do this, it apparently detects Mojos and Mojos 2 as one and the same? I am stumped. We had Time Warner come mess with the router/modem and they did nothing to fix the issue. honestly don't think we have competent people at TW here in my little town.

I don't really know enough to say if he created a second access point, is that a possibility?

#6 ·
How would i "forget" or delete wireless profile for "Mojos 2"?
Depends on your OS. You apparently have Windows, and 7 is different from 8 or 8.1. I think that 10 is similar to 8.1.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.