Wifi router help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tyler631

Hello everyone,

I recently updated my router after about 10 years to a netgear nighthawk I am 99.9% sure that i hooked everything up right but when I go to log into my new WiFi i still see my old WiFi pop up and it still works. Is it normal to still see your old WiFi and have it still work after upgrading your WiFi router?

Thank you!

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Are you sure that you are connecting YOUR router?
I have seen many a person connecting to there neighbor that has no password and the same name.

Tyler631

I am 100% sure that I am logging in to my router our neighbors both have WiFi passwords that I di not know. I just found it strange that I update my router and still see my old router wifi and just wasn’t sure if that is supposed to happen

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
The new router would NOT contain the old WiFi, it is a setting that you must make within the router.
I would go into the Router and change the Network name and password, that is different than the one you have been using. then reboot that machine. If that works, now you need to update ALL other devices that uses this network.

Tyler631

Its not that my new router contains my old wifi its that i can see my new wifi when I connect my devices to it and i can see my old wifi and also connect to it. Should i still be able to connect to my old wifi even if i have a new router

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
If you have unplugged and power down the old router, then it is not functioning and can not connect to it.
This tells me that you have NOT been connecting to YOUR router but some one other router.

What is the Name of these WiFi hotspots that you can see?

First Name
Liz
i can see my old wifi and also connect to it.
That's impossible.
That's like someone saying I have unplugged my toaster but I can still toast bread on it even though it is not plugged in.

Tyler631

Exactly it doesn’t make any sense and I’m really bad at technology so does this mean that I didn’t hook up my router right ?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Then there are no Wi-Fi or other signals emanating from it.

Is it possible that your "modem" is actually a modem/wireless router combo and your "old WiFi" is from it?

First Name
Morten
As @plodr said. There's no way you can connect to a SSID of a router that's been disconnected.
If I was you I'd double check the SSID's for both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz band on the new router. It may be possible that one is set as the old one was. (Yet, that's still highly unlikely)
As others stated. It's much more likely that that particular ID is from another device,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online