1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi Router "Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data."

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GyroProtagonist, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GyroProtagonist

GyroProtagonist Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

First post, Tech savviness somewhere around "competent enough to get into trouble but recognize it and stop."

I'm having an issue that I believe is being caused by my router/modem combo. TWC just sent us an "upgrade" and now on my macbook air the WiFi does not connect to random websites. So far apple.com, google.com, yahoo.com, bing.com are consistently not connecting but duckduckgo.com works fine, espn.com works fine, homedepot.com works... etc. I can't see a pattern.

Things that maybe relevant.
    1. This only occurs on my macbook. My windows 8 desktop (physically connected), my wife's Dell Windows 7 laptop (wifi), Her iphone, my droid All work fine.

2. This only happens on my wifi network. At school or any other wifi

3. I'm in law school and there is a piece of software called Exam4 that we have to use for final exams. It completely restricts computer/internet access while its running. My computer crashed while running the newest version of the software just about the same time this started.

4. Router is made by Arris, model DG1670, 2.4/5 GHz, I can provide any other info you need for it.

5. Running Yosemite 10.10.3.

6. It makes no difference which browser is used, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari all have the same problem (i've attached 2 screen grabs).

7. It doesn't seem to be limited to google.com but anything in the domain. i.e. imap.google.com out as well.

Help please.

Attached Files:

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Have you tried resetting your location?
    If that doesn't work, you can drag/delete the system configuration folder to the trash can, then
    restart and let the Mac create a new "SystemConfiguration" folder which sets everything back to default
    settings & preferences. Just note to keep the old sysconfig folder in the trash, if the above doesn't solve
    the problem than you can simply restore the old config folder.

Might also try the same sites in safe mode to see if the problem persist.

3. GyroProtagonist

GyroProtagonist Thread Starter

Hey CoolBurn,

Sorry for the delay, I just started my summer internship. I tried all of the things you suggested and they seemed to work for one or two page requests. After the second request the sites would lockdown again.

I ended up talking to TWC tech support for about an hour and a half. After I convinced the first person I wasn't crazy I spoke to a "level 3" tech support representative. We putzed around for a few minutes and then he had my turn off IPv6 and presto it works.

The question now is, what did I just do? Or what functionality did I just turn off? and Is there a better solution?

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Basically all you did was tell the network adapter not to use IPv6 protocol and only use IPv4 vs using both.
    IPv6 and IPv4 basically defines network layer protocol, i.e. how data is sent from one computer to another computer over packet-switched networks, like the internet. The biggest reason for IPv6 is that IPv4 is running out of IP address’s and can’t accommodate all the new devices connecting to the internet. For most home users, disabling IPv6 does not have any ill effects yet but there will be a time in the future that you’re going to need it. Far as other solutions, disabling is currently the easiest way to address it. Just make sure that you keep everything up to date and 10.10.4 should be out sometime this year which more than likely has a fix to address this problem.
    BTW: I have feeling the problem has something to do with Apples DNS lookup service, two links below have more info about it and possibly other solutions than just disabling IPv6 if you want to explorer them.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-you-can-do-to-fix-it/
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...veryd-restores-mdnsresponder-to-fix-dns-bugs/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice