1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pierscoe1, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pierscoe1

Pierscoe1 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a wireless adsl router in preparation for broadband arriving in our area soon (long story), and have some questions:

I have a laptop with wifi card and want to setup a home network with this, and my PC (plugged-in via LAN cable to the router).. laptop is XP, PC is Win2K
    I can't seem to get this to work. one minute the PC can 'see' the laptop (in network neighbourhood) and then the other way round, but I can never access shared directories on either... is there a good guide somewhere to set this up?

Also, shouldn't I be able to use the router from the PC as if it were a wifi card?
    i.e. on the laptop, once the wifi card is plugged in, it displays all wifi networks in the area and their signal strength etc.... how can I do this using the router/PC??

With the laptop I can connect to our neighbours wifi router and use their bradband connection, but I want to do the same from the PC.. is that possible?

Thanks in advance all..

(P.S. router is a D-Link DSL-604+)

2. chipw

chipw

Network Neighborhood was never the best way in my opinion to see other computers on the network. if you are up to it, you could map drives to yourshared folders..

In terms of wifi....., If your PC does not have a wifi card or antenna, how is it suppose to detect wifi signals :)

You would need a wifi card for your PC

3. Karaethon

Karaethon

Quick answer? no. the router is like a bus terminal, busses come in and go out of the terminal, but the terminal is just a stop, it cant take passengers to another stop. bad analogy probably. WiFi cards connect to the router, routers cant connect to other routers, you need a WiFi card (the Bus) to connect to the router( the terminal) to move data (passengers)

4. coulterp

coulterp

If routers couldn't connect to other routers there'd be no Internet! :D
    Only the method of connection to the router (wire or wireless) is at issue here; the entire purpose of routers is that, ultimately, they connect to another router, otherwise NO internet.
    As correctly pointed out here the PC without the WiFi card needs one. Of course striving to connect to the neighbours Wifi router should not be being attempted without the neighbours express permission ...

5. Karaethon

Karaethon

What I meant was the wireless router cant connect to another wirelsess router as a client. unless I am wrong about that, but I've never heard of it before.

6. coulterp

coulterp

That is certainly correct. The SOHO type routers mainly discussed on this forum certainly can't connect as wireless clients to another wireless router.
    Was just pointing out that in the bigger picture routers connect to other routers!! :)

7. Karaethon

Karaethon

oh thank god, scared me for a moment there, I started thinking that something I knew might be wrong. I have a rule, I always tell people, If I say "This is So" then as far as I know I am stating a fact, if I say "I Think" then I cant verify the acuracy of my data. I started thinking my "Fact" was wrong.

8. Pierscoe1

Pierscoe1 Thread Starter

bugger... that's a shame.
    The PC is connected to the router via EJ45 (or whatever LAN cable is called), so don't really want to buy a wifi card for it...

guess I'll just have to use the laptop for connecting to other wifi sources then...

thanks for the help everyone.

9. Karaethon

Karaethon

if you want to WiFi it there are options, there are cards you can put in the machine, (you dont want to do this you say) nd there are USB devices that will plug into the comp and Viola *in AOL anouncer voice* You've got WiFi.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, there are some SOHO routers that also will operate in AP and Bridge mode, so in some cases you can connect a router to a router wirelessly. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice