1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi Router X 2 = Repeater?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anchoret, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

I was thinking about this the other night. If it's dumb question I'm sure that everyone will rush to helpfully point this out, but can't you make a repeater out of two WiFi routers?

If a distant wireless Internet AP is out of range of part of your network and you can't move the access point, can't you take a router located just within range, configure it to client mode on the AP's channel (say 11), then run an ethernet cable from its output to the "Internet in" port (or perhaps one of the switched ports, I'm not sure) of a _second_ router configured as an AP on a different channel (say 6) and then have that router be the Internet access point serving your more remote wireless computers?

Just asking here; as a thought problem, it's been nagging at me so badly I was preparing to go buy more routers simply to test it out, but I thought I'd save some money and ask here first. Thanks for any clarification and help.

Fire away!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Some routers support this this is called Repeater mode and it all depends on the device you buy.

I know there is on the WRT54G

Version 2.06, December 16, 2003 (ver.2 initial release)
    - Updated User Interface format and layout
    - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
    - Adds AP Client Mode
    Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this release

Just remember this can be flakey and your adding more wireless channels to be interfered with in a larger area.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you can do this with any SOHO router.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Blah I didn't read the ethernet connection portion. I was talking about doing this all wirelessly. Johnwills right. The way I suggested is going from 1 wireless bubble to make a second wireless bubble without any wires (except power to the secone router).

5. JohnWill

I figured you missed that, because it makes the job a whole lot easier! :D

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The way I read it StumpedTechy was correct the first time--Anchoret wants, in effect, a "range extender" or "repeater." And a few routers can be set up as he suggested.

No argument that if he is willing and able to run a cable, JohnWill's way is far superior, and needs only one additional router.

7. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

I'm beginning to think that maybe I was imprecise in my original explanation, as it seems like we're discussing at least three different hardware situations, none of which are terribly clear to me either. :confused:

I'll try to come up with a plainer explanation of what I was trying to devise after I've had some coffee and/or some sleep. In a nutshell, I was wondering if two WiFi routers could be hooked up together to make a single repeater for the original wireless access point router -- so that makes a total of three routers in all.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yes if thats the case follow johnwill's statement if you take the other routers and hook them up to the original router via ethernet then you will have a great big bubble. My way I suggested to begin with is actually making a bigger bubble using no wired connection between the routers.

2 different methodologies same scenario of a bigger network bubble.

9. JohnWill

To do the trick wirelessly, you'll need routers that support repeater or bridge mode. In addition, since there are more wireless conversations going on, it will be considerably slower without the cable between the routers.

10. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

The ethernet connection can't reach the original router/AP; I was thinking that the ethernet connection would be between the two routers being used to make a "repeater," although repeater may not be the proper term if this "device" has to use a different channel to avoid any interference/confusion with the original far AP. :confused:

11. JohnWill

You're talking about a Wireless Range Extender, but as I said, this will slow the total connection down, since all the transmissions are half-duplex, and you'll have twice as many conversations to complete the circuit.

You could probably cobble something together using a bridge and a second router, but there would be serious latency anyway, since it would be operating in a store-n-forward configuration.

12. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

OK, so this multiple-router idea won't work that well, but would the same problems occur with a commercial wireless repeater? Or do these have to be cable-connected to the original APs?

Thanks for the help to date! :)

13. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

A commercial wireless repeater would work the same as adding a second router would. I highly suggest JohnWill's wired AP suggestion, its how I have my network setup and works perfectly.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice