1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIFI Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raiderfan1963, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raiderfan1963

raiderfan1963 Thread Starter

I have a Belkin wireless router. I have a Belkin wireless print server. The router is not connected to the Internet because where I live, only has WIFI service. Which means I also have a Linksys Speed Booster,WUSBG54 to connect to the internet. My problem is that my print server will only print if the CAT 5E is connected from my laptop to the router. At that point I lose my Internet connection. I have to unplug the CAT 5E from the back to gain Internet access.
    Is this the way it has to be?

2. ntlgnce

ntlgnce

Configure the router and get the wireless printer to work. Through the router, (it should not need the internet to print), Then Configure the wireless adapter to connect to the internet. Not sure, but it should work.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The problem is that both your ethernet and wireless are gettng a Gateway assigned. Windows (except maybe Win 2k Pro) picks one as default--the faster one. Thus "unknown" IP addresses (which would include most or all internet addresses) get routed to the ethernet connection.

To access the print server you do not need the gateway so an easy fix is to assign a static IP adddress to your ethernet (e.g., 192.168.2.111), mask 255.255.255.0 and all other fields blank. The example IP is assuming that the Belkin router is 192.168.2.1 and that its Dhcp range is ....2 thru ....100; make the appropriate adjustments if my assumption is wrong.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice